Notices

Booze dreams

Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booze dreams

I just woke up a few minutes ago with another sober day. Assuming I make it through today (which I will) I'll be 8 days sober.

The only lasting symptom of detox (maybe it's not even detox related) that I have is very vivid dreams fantasizing alcohol. Not sure why I dream of it every now and then but I do. It's kind of crazy that in those dreams your brain doesn't seem to understand that the booze is ruining your body, brain, and people around you.

I think it is insane that even though alcohol helped me gain like 75 unwanted pounds, and erased hundreds of hours of my life, I still fantasize it in my brain.

This doesn't make me sad or depress me, it strengthens my resolve to quit forever. It's just kind of scary.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep.... very common. Even when I was nearly 6 months sober I was having them. Though, they stopped being about 'fantasizing' and were really more scary.

I would dream I was drinking and would wake up afraid and ashamed and feeling I'd failed.... I'd dream of drinking and realizing I was doing it and then trying to hide it or run away from it.

It was like the stuff was hunting my subconscious.

Pretty wild that there is a part of our brains so conditioned to the addiction and so apart from 'us' that it continues to operate as an almost independent 'person' in there, even in our dreams....

From what I've heard countless times on this topic, that continues to happen. Often many many years and even decades into sobriety.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

also; CONGRATULATIONS on eight days!!!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think alcohol is on our minds a lot at the beginning, so it's natural for it to invade our dreams too. They do lessen in time
Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had those too! Glad to hear it is keeping you motivated though! I'm now 6 days sober and I'm just glad to be having dreams again.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had those a LOT...drove me nuts. I still get am occasionally, they don't bother me, but they can throw me off balance a bit cuz it feels like it happened! Yep, they lessen. Glad they're just strengthening you and not freaking you out! Keep up the great work!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I used to wake up panicking and be disorientated for a few seconds, believing I had drank.
It's good in a way, as it's a reminder of how bad you would feel, if you actually HAD drank