Notices

How do I StOP LyING!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I StOP LyING!

When you drink all the time to the point where friends and family call you on it; how do you stop lying about everything even after you stop drinking?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mary2

Why do you need to lie?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why do you think you are still lying Aborigine??
Why do you think you need to lie?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not sure what you mean, but when you stop drinking, you then have nothing to hide, you can open up without fear!!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was such a problem for me, too. Actually, I had learned to lie as a small child in order to survive in my house. It was a survival technique. And, many years later when I began to drink the lying really came into its own. When I stopped drinking, I realized that I needed to learn to stop lying because I would lie about inconsequential, meaningless things. It was a bit of a process, but when I began to feel comfortable in my own skin, the lying just stopped.

Good for you for noticing you need to work on this!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I used to lie about my drinking and hiding all evidence that I drank.

Now that I no longer drink, I have nothing to lie about.

If people ask me why I stopped drinking, it is true I do not tell them I am an alcoholic. I tell them I stopped drinking because my medical condition and medication for it are ineffective with alcohol. Which actually happens to be the truth.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree that lying can be a self-defence mechanism. I find myself lying when people ask me questions that are too personal, for example.

I've had to learn to give non-answers rather than outright lies, re-direct the questions or sometimes just tell a hard truth that I was afraid of saying out loud.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I still lie. If the consequences of telling the truth is going to be so great or will have a awful negative impact to me or others, I will lie.

Most of the time the truth is good enough.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everyone lies, it's silently popular.
I am trying really hard to live honestly but one thing after another makes lying the best policy.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I share this at meetings and still get weird looks: I was BORN a liar. I remember my mother calling me out on it as a small child. It is in my nature to lie for some reason.

I am almost through the steps for the first time, but I can tell you, for me, stopping drinking does not quell my urge to lie. I do it because it is easier than telling the truth.

I do my inventory every night before bed and the frequency of my lies has greatly decreased. They kept/keep me up at night so I am not comfortable doing it anymore. But I am not perfect, so I just strive for honesty.

Does anyone else get the "convenience" factor? (Did you eat all the ice cream?) I have no idea why I feel the need to lie about **** like that.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was younger I would find myself lying in order to agree or validate someone. "Oh yes, I found the same thing when I did that". And I'd never done the thing at all. I just wanted to connect with them. Bizarre.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
When I was younger I would find myself lying in order to agree or validate someone. "Oh yes, I found the same thing when I did that". And I'd never done the thing at all. I just wanted to connect with them. Bizarre.
I think it is the "people pleasing" thing in us.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Right! I wonder if lying helps or hurts me. It appears like the truly dispicable have an advantage
Old 01-18-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

It would be a great thing if I was lying when I tell somebody
"I'm just taking a break from it...".
I just don't feel right saying "I don't drink anymore" or
"I gave up drinking".

Too heavy.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Being in a one-day-at-a-time programme, it's not a lie for me to say "No thanks, not drinking today" with a big smile and leave it at that.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great thread here!! I think this is something I needed to see tonight. My New Years resolution for 2014 is to stop lying. Like some of you I do it over stupid stuff even. I can say when I was drinking it was much worse. Yes I was an alcoholic liar and having admitted that I know honesty has to be a cornerstone in my recovery. Hence the New Years resolution. I've already broken it over stupid stuff, but I'm not giving up. I'm not lying to myself anymore so I guess that's good. Progress not perfection.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The first place that I have to apply rigorous honesty is to myself – then to others, as long as it does not cause harm. I see no reason though, for compulsive “truth dumping”; or for saying things that are unnecessary and insulting, or would cause harm. If absolutely necessary, in such cases I will lie. If I can, I will just keep my mouth shut, or deflect.

A person in a meeting the other day said she had three criteria by which to judge such things:

Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it necessary?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just lied again
Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lied all my life...it took a while for me to change that. One of the big things was the more I stayed sober the more confident in myself I got - there was no reason to lie to impress people or make myself look bigger than I was.

I was just me.

I got more courageous too - I no longer worried if people liked me as much or not.

I also had a stronger moral code in recovery. Habitual lying was one of the areas I targeted for self improvement.

Give it a little time

D
Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lying, deceit and and exaggeration were part of my drinking alcoholic 'survival kit'. I had to do those things so that people wouldn't figure out what was really going on. Problem is it became second nature. Also i ever presented my 'true self' to the world. My biggest secret was me!
Sober i need to remind myself every day that i don't need to lie to survive any more, and that i can give myself permission to be me , warts and all.
One of the toughest propositions for a beginner like me is 'to thine own self be true'. Guess i have to learn who the true me is first then be true to that sober man.
Man, this can be tough at times, but so very worth it....
G