Notices

Neuropathy....

Old 01-18-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Neuropathy....

Did you have it? How was it diagnosed? What were your symptoms? Did it go away and when? Is there anything you did to help it?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have cerebral palsy so I have had neuropathy all my life.

I have most of the usual symptoms, cramps, twitches and shivers, 'electric shocks', pinpricks of intense heat, occasional, numbness and pins and needles in limbs, and just last year, burning gums, and an increased sensitivity to extreme cold or heat.

Treatments will vary according to what kind of neuropathy you have and how it manifests.

I'm currently on a tricyclic antidepressant for the mouth pain - it makes that bearable, but doesn't do much for the other symptoms....but I'm used to those

D
Old 01-18-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Iluvdisney ...

I've experienced Some Hearing Loss and Tinnitus (Ringing in Ears), balance disturbance, from degeneration of Nerve Fibers; caused by Concomitant Nutritional (vitamin B) Deficiency.

It went away after 6 weeks of Clean time, but came back after 5 weeks of Recent Alcohol abuse. Still present after 20 days clean this time and I really hope it goes away soon-It is Really Annoying and I hope it won't be permanent, this time...
Old 01-18-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oops-21 days!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have neuropathy from a disease I have, but I actually had alcohol related paresthesias and wrote it off as due to my disease. Burning in my hands and forearms went away within a couple of weeks of getting sober. I also had very strange weakness in my legs and that also went away as I abstained. I think it was all due to vitamin deficiencies.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

probably

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
I have neuropathy from a disease I have, but I actually had alcohol related paresthesias and wrote it off as due to my disease. Burning in my hands and forearms went away within a couple of weeks of getting sober. I also had very strange weakness in my legs and that also went away as I abstained. I think it was all due to vitamin deficiencies.

Yeah alcohol takes a lot out of the body. (Captain obvious right?) My doctor told me to take vitamins for a few weeks after I dried out. Particularly B vitamins.