Notices

Feeling low

Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Feeling low

This is only day 4 for me I have been here many times I'm starting to feel better, I haven't had a craving till today which makes me sad that I can't drink like everyone else and it's Saturday night,the weekends are a big trigger for me. I have to get up early tomorrow though. I'm going to try to find a meeting to go tonight and do a lot of cleaning around the house that always makes me feel better. Another rant

How does everyone else deal with triggers and cravings?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how ya feel.... I think. I don't really get what I perceive as hard-out cravings but certainly that thinking / feeling sad and low because I 'can't' drink like others....

I try to remind myself that I CHOOSE not to - and then remind myself all the reasons I choose not to.

It's so hard-wired in habit sometimes; all those things that seemed to go hand-in-hand with drinking. But then if I honestly look at those things I can see that actually, the things themselves are fun in their own right.... why do we have to put poison in our bodies to enjoy them?

And.... ultimately... if the things are not fun, don't bring joy or enrichment to our lives absent pouring POISON down our gullets - well then why on earth do them???
Old 01-18-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hello
I'm just trying to think about other things when the cravings happen and they are starting to get worse now. Its funny how I finally now seem to have some resolve to stop. For a long time I just didn't care. Soon as I would wake up If I could I'd use. I keep trying to remember how messed up things have gotten. Feel like in a way Ive come to my senses in a way but also moving closer to be worse off. Just my mind trying to get me to go out and use without me knowing it is probably. But yeah. I would normally be using and drinking right now and wondering when i'll go get more or how to get or whatever. End up hating myself in the long run and feeling like crap again tomorrow and then just having to do it all over again. its senseless.

Thats good your going to meetings. Cant get myself to go back to F2F yet. Not sure. Sure seems to be helping me keep in touch here on SR for now but know I'll need more and I can't kid myself that the cravings are going to get so much worse and its going to be really rough if I can actually stop. I haven't gone more than a few days without being the way I am in a long time. Ive quit before so I know I can do it. Its not fun at all but trying to be positive.

Keep up the good work. thats great seeing others out there trying. For a while I just didn't care or want to see that Im really not the biggest jerk in the whole world. Everytime I fail and see my life getting worse I just can't fool myself into thinking everything is ok anymore.

I got a serious problem I have to do something about or things are only get more and more unbearable till I paint myself into a corner of despair and hopelessness.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first 4 days.

In the beginning, I dealt with cravings (especially the weekend ones) by being super kind to myself. I took lots of bubble baths (seriously, sometimes 3 or 4 in a day), watched a lot of TV, and read a lot of books (mostly recovery). I also stayed close to the message boards that I frequent.

Being hypervigilant re: HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) helped. I found that hunger was a huge trigger; once I ate, cravings typically disappeared. I drank tons of water--whenever I felt a craving, I filled a glass. I also ate a little ice cream each evening.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 4!!

I always plan my Fri/Sat nights out beforehand, what I'm going to do, and if other people are going to be about, what I'm going to say and do, it doesn't have to be anything major, cleaning or even watching a film on a night in can pass the time to bedtime!!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hitting the gym is always a good one for me.... matter of fact; I'ma do that RIGHT NOW!!!

Hang in there!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi i used to remember the sayings you hear around the rooms , Easy does it , the first Drink will get you Drunk , Keep it Simple , Ect , but what also helped is Getting a Sponsor , unload it on him/her a Friendship that you never had before , Take care , x
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

search Urge Surfing

get on the phone

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

online meeting search...

read....

dance....

bake.....

eat ice cream!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to handle cravings by walking my dogs. It was good for all of us. Of course, if you don't have a dog you can just walk on your own. The fresh air and exercise will do you good.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses, I think I just need to let myself feel my feelings instead of avoiding them by drinking which I did for so long. I have to remind myself drinking was only fun for a short period of time then as the years past it got really dark and I was just doing it to survive even though in reality I was just abusing myself. In a sick way I envy all of the 20 year olds who can drink,party that are in college and are going out all of the time. One of last times I drank early in January I made such a fool of myself in front of someone who I was really interested in and now that person isn't talking to me. That made me drink more because I felt so much guilt,shame,embarrassment and disgust from myself(which I still feel but I can't continue drinking) so here I'am on day 4. I'm really hoping this time it sticks this site is really helping me out. Eating a good meal and food do seem to help my cravings,working out also, I really like to write weather it's on this site or in a journal it helps me a lot.
Hope all is well with everyone
Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Samantha

I used to long for booze on Friday and saturday mnights too - but I changed and my priorities shifted and old habits died away.

They will with you too - stick with it
there are some great tips here for cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D

D
Old 01-18-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One of my Recovery Counselor told me that craving last only 8 seconds in our mind and when you have, you need to redirect it and it will go away. Also, think about "gift of desperation" that mentioned in the Big Book. It took me a while to get that gift when I came to the point of losing everything. I still lost many things, like good jobs, reputations, and most important sanity and serenity. I got something back, not all.

Good thing you are planning to attend a meeting. Go for it. And Congratulation on your 4th day! It is a big deal!!