Notices

Step Two, as outlined in “How It Works”*

Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Step Two, as outlined in “How It Works”*

Step Two, as outlined in “How It Works”* *(pg. 59) contains four parts:

a. * We came to believe (a process)

b. * In a power greater than ourselves (whatever that Power might be or however it might be defined)

c. * That could (a process)

d. * Restore us to sanity (the need for which we have already conceded)
Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

are you willing to believe or are you willing to set aside your old beliefs

that a power greater than you might exist?

In other words, do you believe the steps might help you?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A Zen saying: “Don’t search for the truth, just drop your opinions”—

—and the truth will be disclosed, just as it is.

In Zen Buddhism, there is something called a koan: a paradoxical, often (seemingly at least) nonsensical saying that one is nevertheless urged to delve into “deeply”. The purpose is to collapse that part of our thinking that clings to our opinions – our prior conceptions and beliefs – as if they must be the truth, for whatever reason. The quote above is a kind of koan.

For me, powerlessness over alcohol turns out to be just such a transformative koan – and it was only when I could drop my opinions and beliefs about drinking, that I could pass through the gate of step 1. That took awhile. But alcoholism might just be the biggest, transformative koan of my life – albeit an unwanted one.

I am also finding koans in the Big Book – and Steppin2 has laid this one out in a very helpful way – at least for me to work through it.

One author that I read suggested that a lot of people kind of skip Step 2 – that is really don’t work through it – because their prior spiritual beliefs already include a higher power, whatever that might be. He wasn’t saying that that higher power is “the wrong one”, whatever it is, but that one should at least examine one’s opinions about that HP, because any beliefs that we held in the midst of our addiction ought to be re-examined. A person may well keep the Higher Power they came in into sobriety with (and perhaps most do), but might find that their thinking about that Higher Power is changed – perhaps more grace and less judgment, for example.

I want to stress that I am not saying anything about the truth of anyone’s HP, in any religious or non-religious paradigm. I’m just saying that I think that Step 2 is an opportunity – for me – to re-examine my past thinking across the board. It presents me with a kind of koan: one that needs to be worked through, no matter what notions of a power greater than myself I came in with (and might well go out with). So I will start Step 2 by “dropping my opinions” and seeing what, for me, is there. At least that way, I won’t come out with an HP that my little-ego-self made up.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I came into AA with a concept of a Higher Power. I had no issue with that. What I found was I had to allow that concept to be expanded. The HP I came in with needed to be bigger. My HP now has no limits or boundaries.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

step 2 happened after step 7 for me; as a result of working those steps....my obsession and cravings stopped. Amazing experience. And I found some power greater than I.....and then more work....maintenance with steps 10, 11 & 12.....
Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
What I found was I had to allow that concept to be expanded. The HP I came in with needed to be bigger.
That is very helpful; thanks.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Step 2 is quite simple. Are you now willing to believe in something other then yourself. This is where Ebby Thatcher brought step 2 to Bill Wilson in his home so many years ago. So, again, the whole purpose of these 12 steps and the big book is to gain an understanding of your own higher power. To change our thinking, then to help others from the knowledge we have gained. Drinking was never the problem, our thinking was to blame for everything.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Steppin2 View Post
Step Two, as outlined in “How It Works”* *(pg. 59) contains four parts:

a. * We came to believe

b. * In a power greater than ourselves

c. * That could

d. * Restore us to sanity
Step 2 in the short form on p59 does NOT say they came to believe IN a power. It says they came to believe THAT a power. Spend some time with that, I think you'll find quite a difference.

THAT a power...... simply states that there is some power out there that I don't know or understand yet. You don't have to know it nor do you have to trust it.

IN a power means I not only have belief, but also some degree faith and trust in that power.

THAT a power could be taken by an agnostic or atheist whereas IN a power probably couldn't.

etc etc.

--again, not nit-picking. I made the same mistake early in sobriety and I was challenged to look at the differences and see if THAT made more sense than IN. Check it out for yourself and see if you find any differences.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Willingness to believe is all that is required. Then you move onto step 3.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

we came....to believe

came is past tense, it's what happened after.....
Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Insanity is the thought process before the drink.
We always drank on the lie, if we drank on the truth we would never drink again!
Sanity is knowing the full truth of what happens when we take the drink.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah they're telling us they can't believe after taking other simple steps after following a few simple directions after following other simple rules if you read it on the at the meeting they finish that sentence in the book step 2 only requires a willingness a belief is acquired by taking action we come to believe in step 10 when sanity is returned and the problem is removed we don't have to believe at step 2 all that's necessary is willingness to commence growth we admit there's a problem to thine own self be true 1 as a conclusion of the mind to is about open mindedness and willingness no action and then 3 only a decision to turn our will and life over when the time comes not at step 3 because the next paragraph tells us we must face and be rid of the things in ourselves which are blocking us if I'm blocked I can't turn my will and life over we do step 3 when we reach 10 and 11 we align our will with what we believe God's will is for us and be that way there's no action in 1 2 & 3 1st 59 pages are designed to have us be convinced of A B&C
Old 12-02-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

sometimes that second step proposition gets left out.
we all know about the second step question to get us started,after we get started, we can move on to stronger things like the second step proposition

When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crises we could not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is or He isn't. What was our choice to be?
Old 12-02-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
sometimes that second step proposition gets left out.
we all know about the second step question to get us started,after we get started, we can move on to stronger things like the second step proposition

When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crises we could not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is or He isn't. What was our choice to be?
Thanks, Tommy. I've always personally felt that those sentences are the most important sentences in the big book of alcoholics anonymous.

I never heard it called "the second step proposition." I like that.