Notices

Tried AA again.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tried AA again.

Decided to give a woman's meeting a try - to be honest, as much to make new friends as anything as SR is doing me just fine.

Well, just before it started a guy walked in - he's seen the AA sign and had just dropped his daughter off at another part of the building. They told him he was welcome to stay, so 21 women and this poor guy
He said he wasn't sure if he was a 'duck out of water' or the luckiest man on the planet

I have to be honest in that I was bored rigid for 90 minutes. Anything they were telling me, I've already learned from SR and I spent the last 45 minutes wondering if I should go back and get the handbag I'd seen earlier in the morning.

I'll keep going on a Saturday morning and see how things go. Xx
Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I personally hate morning meetings. I dont know why, but they all seem boring. The nighttime ones are usually better in St. Louis for some reason. Maybe its like that where you are.

As for already having learned something on SR, I am totally with you.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, but it's not really safe to be wandering through the city at night as a female

PS I didn't go back for the handbag - got a pair of brown boots instead.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

the "program of recovery" is working those 12 steps, where we learn to live a spiritual way of life

the work we do on ourselves is amazing!

those steps saved my life

the minute I think I've learned something, I know I need to keep coming back!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post

I have to be honest in that I was bored rigid for 90 minutes. Anything they were telling me, I've already learned from SR
I don't think that I go to AA meetings to be entertained
more about seeing friends there that are still sober
and listening to newcomers in person
sharing about how it still is out there
how easily I can forget

M-Bob
Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yep. what Bob said....

also the PROGRAM is the thing.... going to meetings - that's a part of it. Sometimes the meeting can seem like drudgery. those times, I try and force myself to ask what I can glean from it that helps me stay sober or improve myself even just a little bit.

If you are open to it, there is always some small nugget of value that will either contribute to your staying sober or at least bring a light to something going on in you or in your life that warrants your attention or action.

I suggest giving it a try for a committed period. 90 days is a good timeframe. I'm not saying 90 in 90 as many do, but maybe 1-2 a week for 3 months. That's a fair shake and well worth the investment to see what it may hold for you in making your life ever-better...

Just my perspective.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to be honest in that I was bored rigid for 90 minutes. Anything they were telling me, I've already learned from SR and I spent the last 45 minutes wondering if I should go back and get the handbag I'd seen earlier in the morning.
Skye - I think I understand what you are saying here. When you said you were bored, it's not that you came to the meeting looking to be "entertained", you just weren't getting a lot out of that particular meeting. And that's OK. There is nothing wrong with that. Not every AA meeting works well for every person, and not every recovery program works for every person. There are plenty of options out there, both in different AA meetings and different recovery programs. And thats a Good Thing.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm long past the point where I look to AA for friendships. I go once in a while to get the FTF support that SR does not offer. Other than that, I agree with you completely that SR is more than suitable as a recovery resource. As far as AA being about the 12 steps/spirituality, I have my childhood religion that does just fine in that regard, when I'm willing to heed its message. I'll take Jesus and the prophets over Bill & Bob any day.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm an AA member - with lots of doubts about some of its ideas, but I go and it helps me a great deal. I am going to a meeting tonight and much to my amazement I am looking forward to it! Whoever would have thought it a few months ago!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had my issue with AA...most were me or some zealot members. I have found one meeting that works and I attend more for routine and I feel safe with this group.

The value is in the steps not the meetings. The steps are not to just keep you sober it's more about a lifestyle.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have been to over 1000 meetings and I learn or re-learn the things I need to stay sober today. When I think I know it all I start moving toward drinking
Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Looking back to early recovery and meeting attendance I liken it to going to a class. I needed to learn how to apply the steps/principles in my recovery and in my life.

When I take a class I am always going to find different teachers and classmates that I prefer to others. And I learn better when I am in an environment I like and feel comfortable in.

I can still learn in a less than ideal situation, but I have to push past my dislike of the classmates or boring teacher. So I can choose to take the class elsewhere, or online etc. I often benefit from the questions and input of the other students

I found a few meetings where I felt I was getting a lot out of them. In our area the folks in the rooms referred to them as meetings with good recovery and asking around, people would tell you where they were.

I hope you can find a more helpful F2F meeting, but don't rule out online ones. I've even heard there are skype ones now.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the comments - unfortunately I couldn't get back online after I posted, but I really appreciate every reply

I would just like to clarify - I am in NO WAY criticising AA - I just find it more helpful to read positive posts on here, than listen to tales of misery in a meeting. Whilst they were lovely to me, not once did I hear a suggestion of how to STAY sober - all I was hearing was endless tales of what lead people to drinking in the first place.

I guess I've been spoilt with SR as you can skip over the less happy posts until you feel able to cope with them and also, when people were sharing things, my mind was back home on SR as I'd learned it all here from all of you.

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in working the 'steps' and I'm of the mindset that I got myself into this mess, so it's up to me to get myself out of it. Again, I am NOT dissing AA I just don't really feel its for me. I will keep attending on a Saturday - which I wouldn't even consider if this was an anti-AA post. It could just be that I have a really bad back at the moment so wasn't in the best of places to start with.

Anyhow, this is turning into a 'War and Peace' length post, so i'll shut up here.

Just confirming though - I am NOT against AA - I will try other meetings in time and thanks again for all your replies Xx
Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in working the 'steps' and I'm of the mindset that I got myself into this mess, so it's up to me to get myself out of it.
There is nothing wrong with going to the meetings even though you don't want to do the steps. I think that is a personal choice and it is up to the individual if you want to or not.

I like going to the meetings just be around others sometimes.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Any meeting I left went home sober and woke up with out a hangover was worth the time I spent at the meeting. A meeting is what I make of it. Granted every topic isn't something I have a vested interest in but every topic I am interested in I make sure to make the most of it.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks guys Xx