Notices

Day 3 feeling good / mandatory situation

Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 feeling good / mandatory situation

Good morning SR

Woke up this morning and felt great. No hangover. Had a little trouble getting to sleep last night but hey a least I woke up feeling good.

I'm posting because I have a mandatory function today that cannot be avoided. And yes my adversary will be there. I'm feeling pretty strong right now and intend on staying that way. I think I am posting more so to just vent about the situation. But any words of support wold also be appreciated. Wish me strength and luck.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck with your function. You're not posting too much. Post as often as you like.
As for your situation, just be aware of the ramifications of taking that first drink.
I don't know how much sober time you have, but these situations will get easier and easier to handle the longer you are sober.
Best of luck to you. And remember you don't have to drink.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

If the "adversary" you speak of is alcohol, I'd recommend keeping a glass of a N/A beverage in your hand at ALL times. Day 3 is quite early to be attending a function, but I also had to attend one myself a week into sobriety ( my daughter's engagement party).

Good luck ... Be strong....You can do this.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, I see you have three days. I missed that. It'll be a test, no doubt. But I'm wishing you the best and hope it goes well. You'll enjoy it more sober.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I attended some functions shortly after I stopped imbibing. I made sure I had plan before going to the function and once there, similar to LDT's suggestion, went for the soda water or water. I think I probably talked myself through those functions the whole night...it was hard and worth it for the ability to recall conversations and really be present with myself and others. Good luck this evening!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish you well at this event. It will be more enjoyable sober.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its me, charlie, the original poster. I got back from my function. I call it a failed success and a successful failure. By nature I am a binge drinker. Once I start I don't stop. I caved today and had 5 beers. I left and on the way home I stopped by the store and bought more, but poured them out as soon as i got home. I did not stop at the bar either (which is typical). I am at home with my family doing puzzles. It was a success because I'm not still drinking tonight and I am sober. It's a failure because I'm disgusted that I am too much of a weakling to stand my ground under these circumstances and drink period. I also feel like I let my whole family down. They don't know but I do.