Notices

Sobriety with Fitness

Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety with Fitness

So I am on day 16 now, still going strong. Might nights have slowly become a lot easier, where as first I had a great deal of depression/anxiety, and insomnia, but that has now eased of a lot.

One of the ways I have been adjusting to sober life is a fitness regime, which is going pretty well, lost 5 pounds already. Is anyone else doing the same thing. It does help keep your day quite busy if your like me and work at home.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on the fitness routine. I think you will notice a massive improvement in your fitness performance without alcohol and the changes can be very rapid.
What sort of fitness are you managing to include?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is great. I was a Personal Trainer years ago, worked out a lot and even taught some classes. My drinking stopped me from working out as much as I used to.
I cannot sleep tonight so I am stretching yoga poses right now. You are right how it does make the days go by a lot better. I am on day 21 now. My sleep was fine first week. Anxiety is always bad. Just some days I have it more under control. Got insomnia now. Sucks.
That is great on the 5 lbs though.Good that your anxiety has eased up a bit.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad that things are getting easier and I can tell you they will continue to get better and you will feel the full benefits of sobriety. I have always kept pretty fit but being hangover free just makes the training so much easier. Good job on the weight loss.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job! Fitness will definitely help your sobriety....you'll feel better about yourself,and I personally believe it will help accelerate the healing process for your body. I've been massively into fitness my whole life...even when I was drinking....working out hungover should be time off purgatory! Now that I'm not drinking the workouts are much better and I've got so much more energy. You'll see the same benefits.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was in to fitness even when I was drinking, problem is I could never get into good shape as I was drinking to many calories, so hope fully this time I shall hopefully be able to achieve my goals fitness wise.

As for what I am doing, hour of cardio a day, cycling and aerobics, and strength training, just to loose the excess weight. I haven't got to much to loose anyway, but I shall keep you posted.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can only talk from experience of running and resistance training. I found that on my regular runs, I would improve my time or just find I could handle it better breathing wise and would get less DOMS after longer periods without alcohol.
With resistance training, I noticed the biggest improvement by not drinking alcohol. And it is non linear- for example let's say you can do 10 push ups before failing in an ordinary session. Without drinking over several weeks, you might find you can (next time) do 12 and the following time 15. It's not like 10/ 11 then 12.
I certainly found that with things like shoulder press and pull ups, chest press etc
Good luck with it!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. I am on Day 18 and have been running quite a bit. I attempted an ultramarathon (31 miles) about a year and a half ago, but did not finish. I brought a pint of vodka with me on the trip and had it in the hotel to "reward" myself with after the run. Not a surprise I didn't finish. My mind was more on drinking that properly preparing for the run. This year I WILL finish the race in November . . . and, yes, I will treat myself after the race. Probably to a massage, a big dinner, and lots of good rest!

I have said it a ton before, exercise is my "medication." It turns me into a different person, into someone that is not crippled by alcohol cravings, into someone who is confident and compassionate. The only thing I struggle with are days off, but I'll get it.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yes, definitely! Exercise is my 'vice' I guess, it helps me sleep, shushes the anxiety, and calms me. I get about 30 min of cardio a day, and if I don't it makes me sort of antsy!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you in losing 5 pounds! That must feel great. When I'm sober, like now, I usually go to the gym around 5 times a week, mostly cardio, but some weight lifting to round things out. Right now, I do around 60 to 75 minutes of cardio (stair master, bike, treadmill), and two or three sets of weights than off to the steam room. Really helps with my mood and anxiety. It also gets me out of my apartment, and my mind off of drinking. Keep up the good work.!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have actually just began working out again. From 2000 -2006 I was on a regular workout schedule with the Marine Corps. I also learned a lot of my bad habits there too. I quit working out totally when I left the Corps and slowly gained weight and drank more and more often.

I am 35 days sober today and wish I had began working out on day 1. My energy levels have increased dramatically, less anxiety and depression waves. I have started out slow with a high incline fast walk cardio and low weight high rep weight training. I don't wanna get too sore and discourage progress but any exercise is better than laying on the couch feeling sorry for myself.

Baby Steps (What About Bob) LOL
Old 01-18-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Yup. Got a PT and had my first session last Thursday.
I'm glad I gave it a go.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Also, if you use the tactic that I used to realize how bad drinking was by listing reasons you should vs reasons you shouldn't it makes total sense. And I am pretty analytical so it helps me to see things written down. When I honestly do this, I can't find good reasons to drink and I can't find reasons not to exercise.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Great job!

Yep. I used to be into bodybuilding and got in great shape, then started drinking daily again for two years, stopped lifting, went back, injured myself very badly after one week, took months to recover, drinking got even worse....finally weighed myself and realized I gained 35 lbs!!! I saw some pics of me recently and I look so fat. I thought, huh, that's weird! lol Now I know why!

Soooo...that snapped me back into reality. Back on a healthy eating plan which does not include alcohol, am designing a new lifting routine that will exclude lifts that could injure me, and will be back in the gym by this Monday.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's awesome that you are exercising! It really does help!

I have always been active, but like many others, working out hungover eventually led to not going to the gym at all, hence the 40 pound weight gain in the last 2 years of my drinking. I got really serious about sobriety mid October and have lost 13 pounds so far, which considering giving into sweets cravings, I'd say is pretty good ;-) I was a bit underweight prior to the 40 pound gain, so I only want to lose half of it.

Keep up the good work! Cardio is really my biggest form of stress release.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josseh View Post

Is anyone else doing the same thing. It does help keep your day quite busy if your like me and work at home.
my favorite is bicycle riding
also good for the soul to be outdoors

M-Bob
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep, fitness is essential to my sobriety. I do at least 40 mins a day at a pretty high intensity. I also mix it up a bit with swimming and aerobics three times a week. Its really helpful
Old 01-18-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I also find exercise to be an enormous help in boosting energy, aiding sleep, cutting cravings, and just feeling better all around.

I have gotten into the habit of hopping on the treadmill for 40 minutes as soon as I wake up. Then I usually do some light weights later in the day.

I can't wait until the weather warms up as outdoor running and cycling are my favorite activities.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

21 days and I've lost nearly ten pounds and back to working out with more energy and enthusiasm than I've had in a year and a half (since the last time I was sober - for almost 6 months).

This time, I'm staying with it.... SO much better.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Even I did a small amount of exercise bike. I'm old, decrepit with knees that dont work and a heart that's been through alot. Just 10-15 minutes worked wonders for me in the early days. It still does even now