Notices

Kicking the habit today!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kicking the habit today!

Hi everyone Basically been a very regular drinker for around 6 years now and just hoping it's not too late to kick the habit. I have anxiety/depression taking Fluoxetine at the moment so should not be drinking anyway. The problem is every social gathering seems to revolve around going to pubs so have you any tips for going to the pub and drinking soft drinks? Feeling determined to be able to finish work and not open a beer or wine and wake up feeling refreshed , how do I know whether to drink one night a week or none at all where is the line drawn??
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's up to you whether or not you quit entirely. But if drinking is giving you any problems might be best to give it up completely.

I quit over four years ago and don't regret a minute of it.

If you've come here looking for support to quit drinking, you've come to the right place.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!

As long as you're breathing it's never too late to kick the habit. Replacing bad habits with good habits can be a good way to do it!

Enjoy your journey!
Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. I could never moderate and even if it was kept to one night, I felt awful the next day, physically and mentally xxxx
Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Paul and welcome it defo is not too late, it took me thirty years to realise I was putting poison into my body. Going to the pub can be a problem so you don't have to go. It depends on how strong willed you are. Maybe keep a low profile for a while until you feel more confident in your sobriety. All my mates are drinkers, every single one but now they are used to me not drinking no one raises an eyebrow anymore, this happened pretty quickly maybe after two or three sober nights out. People will not be that bothered whether you drink or not.
So now the question is how much do you want this? If you really want it you can do it. Have you tried AVRT. You can google it and do the free introduction. It has helped me certainly. I was always a habit drinker ,you know it's Friday so let's drink. There is football on TV so let's drink. We are going out for dinner so let's drink and so on. Once I broke those habits and replaced them with new habits things became easier. Anyway I wish you all the best and hope you keep posting.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome Paul

I tried for years to control my drinking. When I enter the doors of A.A. I was a 24/7 drinker. I've proved to myself I can't do that.

Glad you're here!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Paul, i was never able to moderate my drinking so i decided to quit completely. You will find lots of support here. Best wishes.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I am going to cut it out completely I must admit on the odd nights I have managed not to drink I have felt like a new person so has me wondering how I will feel after weeks/months of staying off it
Old 01-18-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi
One thing we all have in common when it comes to addiction of any kind is that the word "moderation" is a falisy. It just doesn't happen, one is too many and that's the reality of the disease we have. We can't control our limits so it's best to stop all the way. I've struggled with limits for years and lost a lot of friends and special people due to my actions while high or drunk.
It comes down to what u want for ur life and if u mentally are ready to stop all the way.
If u need a shoulder or an ear we are here for u.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried moderating on countless occasions and failed each time. I am now on day 4 of an alcohol free life.