Notices

Day 5...8 1/2 year record

Old 01-17-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5...8 1/2 year record

I've been an alcoholic for 20 years. This is the FIRST time I've reached out to ANY type of support service. I can't believe it. I have four children. Oddly, I never had the desire to drink while pregnant....I was sick a lot. I would be lying though, if I said I didn't get wasted the night I returned from the hospital after each of my children were born. Besides for being sober while pregnant, my record for sobriety is TWO DAYS in the past 20 years. On July 8, 2005 I returned home from the hospital with my youngest daughter and drank about 8 beers without even getting sick after being sober for so long. It's been on ever since. Since that night, 8 1/2 years ago, I haven't went more than two days without a drink until now (believe me, I've kept track-I've always known I had a problem). I always drank 14-18 beers a night, until last August when I acquired a taste for wine. Since then, I would drink 2 1/2 bottles a night. The only time I would take a day off, is if I was too hungover to drink. In that case, I would lay on the couch ALL DAY. I have gained 75 pounds due to my drinking. I could go on and on about what a waste I've become, but a lot of you already know what I'm talking about. I can't believe the things I've missed out on. Anyway, I was in absolute shock when day 3 came and I wasn't even trying. It was a record. Yesterday (day 4), was a MIRACLE, and today is REALLY hard. I keep trying to make excuses to go to the store and get my fix. The only physical symptoms of withdrawal I'm having are lack of energy and feeling completely drained, almost like a hangover without the headache. I would have thought I'd feel more energized. I really want to go to the store. I'm trying to justify this thinking maybe I can just be a "weekend drinker", but I know this isn't possible. Besides for when I was pregnant, I have NEVER went this long without a drink since I was 18. I'm 38 now. I really want to go to the store.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jayelle
5 days is huge - congratulations!

give yourself time to heal - years of drinking can really take their toll on mind and body.

I'm glad you found us - I think support is one of the factors in long term success.

Check out our Class of January support thread
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-4-a-5.html

D
Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Five days is great. Moderation in drinking never worked for me. Best of luck, you deserve it xxxx
Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I should have tried this a long time ago. Trying to do it alone never worked for more than a day. I just feel so crappy right now and anxious. I'm assuming it's my body trying to detox itself. This sucks.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jayelle!!

Plenty of support here, great to have you onboard!!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome to SR ma'am
Your in the right place @ the right time! As Kate above Luvs to say don't berate yourself bout past(need that reminder too)
But we are where we are so lets all work together for this sobriety thing
Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

The toughest part of your recovery is what you're going through right now.
It does get better.

Keep it going.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you Jayelle. We all understand what you're going through.

5 days is wonderful - I remember how rough those first ones were. Things will get better.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. We are here to support you in your sobriety. Instead of going to the store, why not stay here and read posts. That's better than drinking and you'll feel better tomorrow if you stay sober.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm doing. I even put my pajamas on, which is weird this early on a Friday, to help distract myself from going to the store. I've just been reading posts here this whole time and it is helping a lot and giving me hope.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Jayelle!! Way to go 5 days is AWESOME! Stay strong, it gets better!!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wouldn't even want to go to the store in Michigan. Brrr. I hope you feel better soon, and keep on trying. Kudos on 5 days. Hang in there.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I officially made it through day 5. The store is now closed and I'm not driving 10 miles to the nearest one that is open. I appreciate everyone's help and support. Today was rough.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jayelle113 View Post
Thank you everyone. I officially made it through day 5. The store is now closed and I'm not driving 10 miles to the nearest one that is open. I appreciate everyone's help and support. Today was rough.
Great job. Keep pushing through . . . When you get craving remind yourself that you and your family will benefit from this.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Jayelle. I used to think about the next morning and how good I would feel. If you've been drinking hard for 20 years it could take a bit, but I was surprised by the fact that I started to feel pretty good relatively quickly. You can do this!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have 5 days in, too. Physical symptoms a bit like a low-level hangover (or mild flu): agitation, aches, mild headache in-and-out.

Welcome and thanks.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

congrats on 5 days!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We start day 6 tomorrow! I'm sure you'll start feeling better and better as each day passes.