Notices

relevant

Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relevant

I found this quote on a member's signature, and found it more relevant right now than ever.
"The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it to the gates of insanity or death" ~Big Book p. 30
Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

sigh... don't I know it...

I spent so much time trying to drink 'normally' but it never worked out that way. Easier to just stay sober.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm with Least, it was exhausting trying to drink "normally". I'm grateful daily for my sobriety.

Thanks for posting dasautobatgirl!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

there is more to that quote in that part of the Big Book. It's quite humbling and definitive, to quote, "smashed".
"We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics ... the delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed."

If you are one of many who are turned off by AA or the Big Book because of religious undertones like me, try not to ban the Big Book from your reading. Even if you do not use it for recovery steps, which I haven't ... I find SR more helpful than steps so far ... you can pull some geniune, helpful, otherwise spiritual, relevant, and intellectual readings from it.

If you don't have the book, it is given out free of charge at AA meetings. Or you can google chapters, etc.