Hi

Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Hello. Hopefully I'm bringing my son to an inpatient program tomorrow. I am feeling very hopeful but do know the odds aren't good for the first time. He has been hospitalized 2 other times due to drugs but has never gone beyond out patient. I guess I'm just trying to find out what to expect. Thank you.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hi Reader & Welcome to SR.
I am also a Mother of a grown addict Son. I just wanted to say that I hope that the inpatient programs is what your son needs & something clicks with him while there. There will be more Mothers to come along and share with you. I hope that you keep coming back to share & to read others experiences.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too am the mother of an adult addicted son and I know your pain.

I think inpatient treatment is a better course especially early in addiction. Programs differ somewhat but most are about teaching them why they use and what happens to their bodies and minds when they do. And the residents learn tools for coping with life on life's terms and avoiding relapse, and what to do if relapse happens, all withing a clean sober and safe environment with counselors available any time.

I will keep your son in my prayers, I hope he finds a better path in rehab.

Hugs from one mama's heart to anothers.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi reader, another mom here. I also hope this is exactly what your son needs at exactly the right time. Such a balance for us parents to keep our hopes tempered with reality. It's not up to us when the message sticks for them. I will keep you and your son in my prayers. I hope today goes off as planned!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Reader. I am not the mom of an addict but I wanted to let you know I support you and hope you are able to have some peace while he is at rehab!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It's not happening today which upsets me . I want him to go while his resolve is strong. We have to get through the weekend. He is to call one place on Monday and has an appt for a more extensive intake interview on Tuesday. A lot can happen before then but I hope it doesn't.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another mother here who understands where you are right now. The weekend wait is just horrible--I was there not long ago. I had a huge project to work on, my dissertation, so I just absorbed myself in writing that weekend. It was hard, but it is the first step in what will be many more where you have to take care of yourself first. It's not that I didn't care or didn't do things to speed the intake process along, or worry about her, but I began detaching a bit from the outcome by working on other things.

Do what is in front of you today. Tomorrow will come. And remember, you will be able to handle whatever happens with grace and love. You are his mom. You can't control what he does, but you can be your best regardless.

Take care this weekend. I will be thinking of you!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TY Garden. I will be able to handle it because I am in my pissed off stage. I told one of his friends today the gloves are off. I will do what ever it takes to save my son and if you aren't being helpful to him then get away now . He told me he was one of the good guys and I told him I don't believe anyone any more and I will roll all over anyone that gets in our way. Maybe not the best way to handle things but its the best I have right now.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reader, welcome to SR. My 24 yr old son is an addict who is restarting his recovery. He had over a year clean before he relapsed. Maybe not what you want to hear but I'm here to share my experience and hope. And I do have hope despite the relapse my son had. I'm hoping this time around his recovery will be stronger and long lasting. This time around I'm hoping his recovery will always be first and foremost. As a loved one, this is all we can hope for. Please take this time while your son is awayat rehab to jump start your own recovery and work on you. I thank my hp for the last few weeks and the peace it has brought to me while my son has been in rehab.