Courage To Change 01/15/2014

Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 01/15/2014

Recently I learned about a crisis in the life of an alcoholic I love. Today, while trying to work, I found myself slumping in my chair, depressed and distracted. Soon, all thoughts of work had fled, and I was busy projecting a horrible outcome to my loved one's crisis and dreading the ways in which the consequences might affect me. The slogan, "One Day at a Time" reminds me that, in spite of my fears, I don't know what tomorrow will bring.
Why am I leaping into the future? Perhaps I've given my feelings no room to exist. Part of me gambles that by worrying in advance, bad news will be easier to face if it comes. But worrying will not protect me from the future. It will just keep me from living here and now.

Today's Reminder

I needn't explore how I'll feel about something that might occur in the future, I don't actually know how I'll feel, and it may never happen. So when I feel myself leaving the present, I'll remind myself that the future is not today's problem.

"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its strength."

~A.J. Cronin
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know a few people that really needed to hear that today.... I'm going to share this, especially with a friend that has an AH in crisis right now. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!! This defintely applies to me right now. I am always jumping ahead worrying and wondering the "what if's" It is so true that worrying will not protect us from the future it only takes away the here and now.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! I just posted a similar version of this quote on another thread. A friend emailed it to me. I guess I needed to hear this today. Just...wow.