Notices

First bad trigger

Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First bad trigger

I had a big fight with my husband today. I'm not tempted to go out and get a half pint and yet I am. Keep me strong while I sit here hating him and cry.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it. Remember the drink will make you feel worse and make you take a step back. We're all here for you! Feelings and emotions are really raw for us right now, alcohol will just amplify what you are feeling, (anger, sadness) - you can do this

xx
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you work the emotions out? Cleaning, jogging, physical activity really helps me with things like this.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Drinking will not only make you hate him and cry more, but it will make you hate yourself too for drinking. And you will be hung over most likely and wishing you never took that first drink. And it won't be just a half of a pint - that will just get you started.

Getting sober isn't easy - it' about facing our problems rather than just getting drunk to avoid them. Physical exercise, rest, food, water, having a rational conversation with your husband about the fight, all would be good ways to deal with this particular situation.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi, it's what we used to do, drink to celebrate drink to commiserate drink to drown our sorrows. It didn't help though, just same problem still there when we got sober with the addition of hangovers etc.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are all right. I took a break, did something else and even apologized but I believe it is his fault. He is lacks empathy. Something happened with the car I didn't want to distribute him at work as he may be with a client. So I text messaged him thinking he would see the urgency and feel empathetic enough to call. No. He text messaged back very slowly and not very responsive. Then I finally call him. No answer twice. I finally get through. By then I'm exploding. He tells me he didn't answer because "he's a at work." No. There was no client, nothing. Just thinks that it did not need urgency. I just think he could have called back very quickly and said "hey, I know it's stressful, why don't you do this to get it fixed quickly?" But no. He can't be bothered. Instead of that one minute call to show empathy, I fought and cried on the phone with him for 30 minutes.

I actually felt like I was drunk (not in that way), but that's the same way I used to rage at him when drunk. That makes me feel bad because I've been in control of those rages lately with stopping the alcohol. But today, I might as well have been drinking because I was yelling and screaming and crying just like I would while loaded. What gives with that? Have I just learned to be my drunken self even when sober.

Bottom line:

He under reacted by not calling and just checking in for a second (the car problem started because of his negligence)
I way overreacted (maybe he even suspected I'd be drinking)
I'm angry and raw right now BUT I'm not even thinking about drinking for the cyclical reasons you've all mentioned.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job you did perfectly, well done on getting through it!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by letustrythis123 View Post
But today, I might as well have been drinking because I was yelling and screaming and crying just like I would while loaded.
That's why sobriety is a lot more than just quitting drinking. It's learning to deal with disappointments, unmet expectations, our shortcomings and the shortcomings of our loved ones.

You may find that putting down the bottle was just the first step.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I actually felt like I was drunk (not in that way), but that's the same way I used to rage at him when drunk. That makes me feel bad because I've been in control of those rages lately with stopping the alcohol. But today, I might as well have been drinking because I was yelling and screaming and crying just like I would while loaded. What gives with that? Have I just learned to be my drunken self even when sober.
Good job on not drinking. I believe it will take time to learn how to function rationally on a regular basis. Don't beat youself up. Maybe think about how to handle your frustration in a better way. Again, great job not drinking.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stayed sober letustrythis123.

Drinking at someone is like punching ourselves to hurt someone else. It's just not a healthy
response.

D
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

But today, I might as well have been drinking because I was yelling and screaming and crying just like I would while loaded. What gives with that? Have I just learned to be my drunken self even when sober.
This happened to me LOADS over the first week or so. It's nice to know that we arent killing ourselves at the same time though. At the end of it we will calm down with no ill effects....with alcohol-induced rages we are also destroying our organs and are impossible to come back down to level 0.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Our emotions are overly sensitive early on. And when our loved ones don't understand or ignore us, things can easily spiral out of control. Give yourself a moment or two or more to understand where we're at and just understand everyone is not going to placate us. I have been feeling some of this myself the past two days as I detox.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

mini storm

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
Our emotions are overly sensitive early on. And when our loved ones don't understand or ignore us, things can easily spiral out of control. Give yourself a moment or two or more to understand where we're at and just understand everyone is not going to placate us. I have been feeling some of this myself the past two days as I detox.
Kris47 has good point. I am working on this every minute of every day. Thankyou for sharing your story. Hope the rest of the evening goes well.
Good job on making it through the "mini storm" without getting wet and staying DRY.