Notices

My plan for today - need feedback

Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My plan for today - need feedback

I WANT sobriety to work for me. I WANT to be successful. Now I know what is going to help foster that success - I need a plan. Every. Single. Day.

Tonight I have a months-long planned dinner out with 2 former co-workers who have no idea that I have stopped drinking. While I do not anticipate anything but support from them, I want to ensure that I don't fall back into old patterns. I know that the question will come up as soon as drink orders are taken. My plan is to be up-front an honest. I am an alcoholic and can not (will not) drink. Again, I know these ladies and they will be so proud. That in and if itself is enough of an incentive. I want them to be proud of me. I want to be proud of me.

Here's where I need your help. I know there are already threads about this, but I'm looking for fun, non-alcoholic drink choices. I want to go into that restaurant knowing what I'm going to order. I don't even want to open the menu and have to think about it. Why even give my AV the option of looking at the drink menu? I'm shutting her down before she even starts her slither out from under her rock!!

What fun, non-alcoholic drinks do you all order these days? Help me out, please.

The rest of my plan involves reading success stories today as well as checking in here before and after my dinner.

Thanks a ton!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find that sparkling Pellegrino (water) at a nice restaurant feels special, fancy, tastes great and gives my body goodness without calories or sugars.

Also - if sweet is up your alley, a simple cranberry juice and 7-up is nice.

good for you in being proactive. Having a plan makes a big difference.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

A lot of bars and restaurants do lovely fruit cocktails. I also like cranberry or appletiser which looks quite classy in a nice glass. Lime and soda is a good one too, or tomato juice and worc sauce yum! or grapefruit. That's the sort of thing I like. I get a bit bored with water or cola. I actually enjoy the taste too. Much better than knocking back the booze with a grimace just to get drunk. I would also just pick at my food too - not anymore xxxxx
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, I just go for water. Something that seems alcohol "like" feels like I'm playing a game. As if I want to be a part of the drinking crowd still.

I know this is still very new to you, but I honestly feel it's better to play the whole thing down. If people are truly supportive they'll get it, understand, and be supportive without making a huge deal of it. Looking for them to be proud of you seems like dangerous ground to me. Not saying its a guarantee of trouble, but I think a silent confidence that you are absolutely not going to drink might be a bit more powerful and secure place to be coming from.

Just my opinion, that I wouldn't have put out if it didn't seem you were looking for our opinions. The most important thing is that we don't drink, no matter what. 2nd most important, that we have fun.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always go for lemonade now. Before I cut caffeine out of my diet it was always pepsi max as that at least had some sort of buzz, but it gave me palpitations and made my benign heart condition uncomfortable. My last drinking experience was so horrific though something has changed in my brain where the thought of a drink scares me now. Working out works well for me, have you tried working out especially when you have a craving? The endorphins feel great.

edit - Oh yeah, and id stay away from non-alcoholic beer. Last time I tried that I wanted a real one so badly by the end when the "effect" wasnt coming on I got smashed again for 6 months.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cranberry, Soda water and Lime!!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Purple knight, that is my drink! It helps me sooooo much with cravings, I need to be fully stocked with seltzer , lime, and cranberry at all times. I bring it to work even! A lifesaver for me, it's refreshing and I think the bubbles are like beer and the bitter in the juice is like wine but no hangover...
Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cranberry, tonic, and lime! Everyone assumes it's a "drink" (if they didn't hear you order). No fuss, no muss. Delicious and calorie friendly.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions. I was already leaning toward sparkling water but wasn't sure what to put in it. At home I've got all my crystal light mixes/drops that I mix w/sparkling water to make "fizzlers" (as my kids call them). I half-way thought about bringing a mix tonight!

Joe, I appreciate you perspective, but I'm not looking to pretend to drink - just find new alternatives. Along those same lines, thank you so much for the heads-up on the non-alcoholic beer, Zeepa. Not even interested in it but I'm glad you told me your experience just in case.