Notices

Don't Punish Yourself

Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't Punish Yourself

Sick people are not bad people. One woman was convinced that because she was alcoholic she was a second-class citizen. She did not accept that she had a disease, and continued to punish herself for being addicted. People who realize addiction is a disease can turn their attention to the business of getting better. People who have other types of diseases do not feel guilty or look for scapegoats. Rather, they try to become as healthy as possible. The same approach should be used with addiction.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't really like the word 'disease' to be honest - a disease is something we catch, wheras alcoholism, for whatever reason is self-inflicted. I know I'm being petty here but I prefer to think we have a 'medical condition' that can be treated.

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm putting you down - I'm honestly not It's just a personal preference Xx
Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Disease theory of alcoholism

Personally Saying Alcoholism is not a Disease? but sure whatever butters your muffin really .

The modern disease theory of alcoholism states that problem drinking is sometimes caused by a disease of the brain, characterized by altered brain structure and function. The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956. In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't like the word "disease" either, but it's kind of a grey area. It's certaily better than "drunk" or whatever dome cliche term there is on it.

Diabetes in some instances is self-inflicted, but it is considered disease as well.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I found that drinking alcohol responsibly is not possible for me. I try and worry about not drinking and living a sober life more than the semantics if the condition.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spud66 View Post
Personally Saying Alcoholism is not a Disease? but sure whatever butters your muffin really .

The modern disease theory of alcoholism states that problem drinking is sometimes caused by a disease of the brain, characterized by altered brain structure and function. The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956. In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections.
Wow Spud. I'm genuinely sorry if I upset you - was just thinking aloud and was in no way trying to belittle your description.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Spud

Irrespective of whether alcoholism is a disease or otherwise, I agree with your key message being "dont punish yourself". Self loathing/hatred/criticism will only push down your self esteem which makes one even more emotionally vulnerable. This makes it more risky to relapse. The key is to forgive oneself for the past, learn and move on !
Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Move On

Yes Mate (Kaneda) that is all you can do move on dust yourself off and try again we are all entitled to Mistakes, Because if we don't make mistakes we never learn.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I agree with your key message too, irrelvant of what people prefer to call the conditon. xxx
Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

kinda like diabetes, I can keep my alcoholism under control by living life differently than I had when imbibing.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Self loathing/hatred/criticism will only push down your self esteem which makes one even more emotionally vulnerable.
Self loathing/hatred/criticism is your addiction manipulating you to get what it wants. Pi$$ it off by forgiving yourself and overcoming it.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It certainly doesn't help to blame oneself for sure - and alcoholism has a lot of the features of a disease, even if it isn't exactly one. And yet AA insists that we should do a moral inventory to identify our our 'wrongs'. I'm an AA attender so I'm not knocking it - but it is certainly full of contradictions.