Times article about an alcoholic's confidentiality

Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Times article about an alcoholic's confidentiality

I am not link-savvy, but today there was an article in the NY Times titled "Troubles the Doctor Can't See" by a doctor named Abigail Zuger. It's in the Science Times section (January 14).

She writes about the rights of an alcoholic when a family member consults his physician behind his back.

Just for everyone's FYI. And if anyone finds the article and knows how to post the link, that would be great, thanks. It might be very useful to some members of our forum.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Is this it?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...their-doctors/
Old 01-14-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's the one. It has a different title in the paper I bought today, but the content, yes, that's the same content. Thank you, suki.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I chaperoned my husband to see his doctor several months ago - In June I think, before I even knew he was drinking. His doc prescribed Wellbutrin...didn't make a damn difference anyway or help with his "issues," obviously. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You're welcome. It's an interesting article. I can see both sides of the situation, but then, I've been on both sides.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When i wanted to let my dads dr know some things, i wrote a letter and faxed it to his office. Called and confirmed he got and read it. I did not want any info from him, i wanted to give it to him. Addiction was not the issue but i would do the same for it too. Just a suggestion that wont violate HIPPA.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no right to define other people's problems for them. Good for them. Good for me.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

My mother is an expert at putting on a front, even when she's struggling. My sister wrote to her doctor with some background information which may not have been obvious during a consultation. I don't see any harm in that, although doctors may have to be wary about the source of the information and motives of the informant.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have called both of my parents' doctors before regarding a health issue that my sisters & I felt the doctor needed to know. In both cases, I spoke with the phone nurse, passed on the information, and made it clear that I knew they could not discuss my parent's care with me, nor did I need/want them to. Since then, my parents have both signed HIPAA consent forms allowing their doctors to speak with me (and ironically, I've not needed to call.)

Years ago, when my STBXAH & I saw the same doctor, I spoke honestly with her about AH's drinking. This was before HIPAA but I still made it clear that I did not expect a response from her. After that, she started testing his liver enzymes. When they were high & stayed high, she referred him to a hepatologist. Unsurprisingly, he quit going to the doctor.