Notices

Back again

Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

I joined SR back in May 2010 determined to give up drinking once and for all. Did pretty well for several months until one night in Feb 2011 when I decided to have a couple beers after class one night with my professor and a few classmates. I managed to keep things under control for about year until Spring 2012. At the time, I decided to switch from beer to red wine because I had gained a fair amount of weight over the previous year, mostly from eating and pounding beers after school a few nights each week. I decided to switch from wine to Scotch a few months after that - this is when things began to catch up with me. I switched back to beer around Christmas 2012, but this time it was the strong Belgian beers like Chimay. Somehow I managed to finish my masters degree in counseling in Spring of 2013 with a 4.0 GPA, but I was pretty much a bloated mess at this point - red faced and sweaty - looking like a text book drunk. I continued the Chimay and scotch all summer up to New Years. Had my last drink two weeks ago today.

Surprisingly, the withdraw has been manageable. I'm actually sleeping a little better but having some crazy dreams. My health has really gone downhill. I gained around 40 pounds since 2010, none of my clothes fit, and I am eating a lot garbage.

I feel like I wasted too many years sitting in bars, or worse, drinking alone. I'm hoping I stopped in time to save my liver - the weight gain is troubling me - never had a problem in this area until now. Guess it could be related to aging as well. I know I should see a doctor but I figure stopping drinking would be the first order anyway and if it is my liver there are only a few options.

I've been lurking for the past week or so - thought I'd say hi and thank you in advance for the support. Reading others stories helps put things in perspective. Guess I need to update my profile with a new start date!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Welcome back.
Don't dwell on the past.
Make it your top priority to take good care of yourself and get well.
All else will follow!

Best,
D.D.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Hope4Recovery

D
Old 01-14-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I'm right here with you - back again determined to make sobriety stick this time.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifeisforliving View Post
Welcome back. I'm right here with you - back again determined to make sobriety stick this time.
Thanks. We can do this. This time I'm going to keep reminding myself how I need up here in the first place next time I convince myself I can handle a drink or two.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My best wishes to you for recovery. Your post reminds me that I was my biggest enemy for my recovery.

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
My best wishes to you for recovery. Your post reminds me that I was my biggest enemy for my recovery. BE WELL
Thanks. The thing for some alcoholics, like me, is that we can be so determined and controlled in nearly every area of our lives except for one, getting loaded. I'm hoping that I can do things a little differently this time. You know you're nursing a big problem when you delude yourself into thinking that drinking scotch is a hobby. I even amazed myself with how I justified drinking all these years. It's time to surrender and really change my way thinking.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

Originally Posted by Hope4Recovery View Post
Had my last drink two weeks ago today. Me too!

Surprisingly, the withdraw has been manageable. I'm actually sleeping a little better but having some crazy dreams. My health has really gone downhill. I gained around 40 pounds since 2010, none of my clothes fit, and I am eating a lot garbage. I've gained 30 and it sure is hard losing it even though I'm not drinking. And I can sure relate to the clothing thing.

I feel like I wasted too many years sitting in bars, or worse, drinking alone. I'm hoping I stopped in time to save my liver - the weight gain is troubling me - never had a problem in this area until now. Guess it could be related to aging as well. I know I should see a doctor but I figure stopping drinking would be the first order anyway and if it is my liver there are only a few options. One of the reasons I'm stopping is concern for my health. Bad stomach issues and even though I have good liver tests, I still wonder..... About there only being a few options---I don't know what you are concerned about specifically but you never know what options are available... advances in medicine come along all the time.
Best wishes to you ~ Congrats on your 2 wks and welcome back!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Hope! You can do it!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back,,, stay strong,, you have my support
Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and I hope you can crack it. You sound like you want to which is a wonderful start xxx