Notices

Step One

Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Step One

Hi everyone,
Doing step 1 again & wanted clarification on the second part of it. Does someone's life ever become manageable or is it a life long thing as long as I'm alive & declare that I'm an alcoholic?
Thanks for responses
Old 01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Lots of people interpret it as you need to always work the program to keep your life on track and maintain sobriety. Others are a bit more relaxed and like to take a hand in managing themselves after a while. I'm sure someone else can elaborate a bit better than me.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I came to understand that manageable is not the same as controlable.

I can manage, as in handle, what comes down the pike, because I gave up fighting AND fleeing from life. But I can't control what happens, I can choose how I am going to respond, but life is what it is, I feel what I feel, but I can choose how to act (or not act in some situations)

This is a weird example, but here goes. I have a friend who belongs to a club where in the Summer, every two weeks she gets a box of produce delivered to her. She gets whatever is in season, that the farmers and gardeners have grown. Every time the box shows up, it's a surprise. She doesn't control what comes in that box, but once it shows up she can manage what she does with the contents, get creative and try some new recipes, maybe develop a taste for something she never tried before.

That's kind of how my life in recovery is. Instead of getting p*ssed off at the box because I couldn't choose what was in it, I figure out what I can do with what shows up.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I came to understand that manageable is not the same as controlable.

I can manage, as in handle, what comes down the pike, because I gave up fighting AND fleeing from life. But I can't control what happens, I can choose how I am going to respond, but life is what it is, I feel what I feel, but I can choose how to act (or not act in some situations)

This is a weird example, but here goes. I have a friend who belongs to a club where in the Summer, every two weeks she gets a box of produce delivered to her. She gets whatever is in season, that the farmers and gardeners have grown. Every time the box shows up, it's a surprise. She doesn't control what comes in that box, but once it shows up she can manage what she does with the contents, get creative and try some new recipes, maybe develop a taste for something she never tried before.

That's kind of how my life in recovery is. Instead of getting p*ssed off at the box because I couldn't choose what was in it, I figure out what I can do with what shows up.
That's lovely xx
Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mine became more and more manageable the further I got from my last drink. This does not mean I always got what I wanted or every thing was all rosy or the path in sobriety was not going to be bumpy. Life happens and we practice not to escape to the bottle to ease the situation temporarily.
It took me awhile to accept the things I could not change.

BE WELL
Old 01-18-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe that when we have that spiritual awakening by doing a self examination by way of the 12 steps that the things we learn about ourselves such as letting things go,letting go of expectations, turning things over , the willingness to recognize and have defects removed the owning and cleaning of our side of the street. Getting out of the driver's seat, smashing the ego, That we gain tools to maintain a managaeble life.

But the maintenance is ongoing. Awareness and self honesty, willingness and humility to admit when we are in the wrong in any situation that comes up in our lives. I believe if I continue to work the 10th, 11th and 12th step daily that I stay in top spiritual condition therefore maintaining a manageable life.

But what is top spiritual condition, that can mean different things to different people.

If we are ever satisfied with where we are at then we stop growing.

Spirituality I believe has levels and you reach different plateaus when God is ready to reveal more to you about yourself.

I don't know if that makes sense 1newcreation but that is how I see it for me personally.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

nitey nite 1newcreation xox