Notices

Exercise does help

Old 01-14-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise does help

Hello everyone

I'm on 14 days sober today and things finally seem to be getting better

Recently I've been feeling depressed/run down/angry but today I found that going for some brief but pretty intense exercise helps to keep the cravings at bay.

Obviously at work I cant just run off to the gym but earlier I had a bad craving and starting to feel myself getting agitated...so I went to a stairwell that isnt used much and ran quickly up and down it. Before long I was focused on being out of breath and flushed and my cravings and bad mood went away.

I'm a gym regular so just walking up stairs faster than usual or doing anything to elevate your heart rate would probably have the same effect on people who arent that active.

Anyway, hope it works for some of you too.

Also, I have had a benign arrhythmia (premature ventricular contractions) since I was 19 in 2009 that make me anxious sometimes and since cutting alcohol and caffeine out of my diet they are hardly noticeable any more either.

xx
Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree, exercise is huge in recovery!!

I'm still trying to get back to my routine. Unfortunately, I've been feeling too tired some days, but on days I get out there and move I do feel better, more motivated, and more determined to stay sober.

Good job distracting yourself!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've found cardio to be an incredible source of happiness myself. Something about getting your heart beating with a jog just instantly makes me feel better. It really does help replace the thirst for excitement that can arise once alcohol is out of the picture.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cardio has been HUGE in my recovery. Unfortunately I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot and it has put a damper on my exercise routine. Hmmmm, now that I am typing this out I can see that it was probably part of the reason I drank last night. I haven't been able to get a really good cardio session in for about a week now because of the foot pain.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Great thread here for anyone interested.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eing-club.html
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
Cardio has been HUGE in my recovery. Unfortunately I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot and it has put a damper on my exercise routine. Hmmmm, now that I am typing this out I can see that it was probably part of the reason I drank last night. I haven't been able to get a really good cardio session in for about a week now because of the foot pain.
Have you tried swimming? It takes the pressure off joints and such
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

google "exercise and addiction recovery" and you'll find a LOT of information and scientific backing to this....

Exercise is also one of the most powerful weapons in treating things like depression and anxiety - which a lot of us struggling with recovery also have to confront.

From first hand personal experience - when I'm not including regular (5-7 days a week) exercise in my life, I'm not as happy, not as balanced, and less apt to stay true to my choice of sobriety.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on 14 Days!!

Yeah the stairwell was a favorite haunt of mine at work as well in my early days, I wasn't running though, just walking up and down to clear my head!!

I also find in the evenings a long walk in the fresh air definitely does the trick to hold back cravings!!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeepa View Post
Have you tried swimming? It takes the pressure off joints and such
I would love to swim for exercise, but the closest pool is 30 minutes away. My gym is 1/4 mile away, so I will just have to stick to using a bike.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

From the 'top 50 reasons to exercise':
#18 - Helps control addictions.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exercise and focusing on my overall health has helped me tremendously as well. I had cravings to drink last night to the point that I could not get the picture of a champagne bottle out of my head! So, I went to the gym and ran a 5k and about a mile into it the cravings were gone.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Swim, bike, run and yoga....my saviors...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am really really lazy. I have gained about 30 pounds in the last 2 years all booze related. Today I am going to start exercising. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I found exercise to be a crucial part of my recovery program ! I cant go for 2 days without some form of workout. Pounding heart, heaving lungs, wobbly legs but a focused and clear mind...its all good stuff !
Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Just wanted to say I did the unthinkable today... I actually walked into the local fitness center and signed up with a personal trainer.

I think I start tomorrow... I'm not in terrible physical shape, but I think this is going to be quite humbling!!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan Dare View Post
Just wanted to say I did the unthinkable today... I actually walked into the local fitness center and signed up with a personal trainer.

I think I start tomorrow... I'm not in terrible physical shape, but I think this is going to be quite humbling!!

Awesome! Personal trainers are great, helped me lose weight years ago and ive stayed that way ever since. Definitely a good move!

x
Old 01-14-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just ran 20 minutes on the exercise bike! It's a great way to fight the depression and anxiety that recovery brings because it release endorphins in the brain, not sure if toxins are released through sweating, but the circulation definitely speeds up detoxification. Just listen to your body though, if you're tired, rest, don't force the exercise.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Exercise puts me in a completely different frame of mind from my "addicted self" I feel good about myself, want to treat my body good, eat good, helps me get tired and sleep, helps me stay focused at work. As I've posted on here before, it is my medicine for sure.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VIG44 View Post
Just ran 20 minutes on the exercise bike! It's a great way to fight the depression and anxiety that recovery brings because it release endorphins in the brain, not sure if toxins are released through sweating, but the circulation definitely speeds up detoxification. Just listen to your body though, if you're tired, rest, don't force the exercise.
Good job! Yeah the brain releases endorphins when you exercise and its a healthy natural vice I agree as well though dont overdo it, especially if you havent exercised for a while, even something like a brisk walk will do wonders. Do enough to feel good afterwards, then slowly build up as fitness level increase
Old 01-14-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Aside from the short-term mood lifting, the long-term benefits are nice as well. If you put in the time and effort on training towards a goal you end up with something new to be excited about every day, as you start to see progress and achievement. It's pretty cool. I kind of didn't give much of a damn about much when being a drunk was job no. one. Now going into second half of sober year I'm starting to get serious about my guitar playing again, and after six months of lifting and diet I (finally) kind of look like I lift (my avatar -- that's not a real picture of me .. I photoshopped in the suit, see..).

Progress that isn't progressive addiction is pretty neat, albeit very slow.

Oh and the health benefits are impressive too!