Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five hundred and twenty. That is how many weekends are in a decade.

The finiteness of life scares me sometime, but pausing to think about how brief our time is here also makes me realize that getting sober is not something to be put off…until later. I truly believe that being sober means that 520 possible weekends of excitement may lay ahead of me in the next decade (if I am lucky enough to still be alive). There are very few things in my life I am certain about, but I do believe absolutely that drinking would rob me of that potential.

For any newbies who are struggling in their first days or weeks keeping the idea of what you are adding rather than subtracting is so important. And each one of us ultimately hold our own destiny in our hands, that is a pretty amazing and overwhelming thought. Getting sober is not an event, it is a decision. (thanks Dee for this thought very early on, it has stayed with me). I believe it is a series of small decisions, not a big bang…and that's what makes the early days so hard.

No one else can see those choices we are making, daily, hourly, sometimes minute to minute. And sometimes those little choices feel so trivial in light of all the problems that started adding up while we were drinking. But it is exactly those small choices that put us on the same exact path as anyone who has gone before us successfully.

520 weekends……the thought of family, friends,working, traveling….not holed up alone drinking. I have no choice about how long I will be on earth, but I do have a choice about whether I am allowing myself the possibility of truly living and not just existing.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Damn right.

And, I absolutely, positively ADORE you.

Thank you for being a part of my tribe.

XO AO
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Beautifully said jaynie. So true - we're adding, not subtracting. In the early days of quitting I was focused on what I'd be missing. I perceived it as a huge loss. I don't know how I could've looked at it that way - I was so sick and miserable.

Thank you for the encouraging post.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today I was thinking about all the changes I need to make in my life in order to continue my sobriety in the early stages, including canceling plans with "drinking" friends, avoiding happy hour with co-workers or avoiding that first drink right after work. I was pretty bummed out, lonely and lost. After reading this, it lifted those negative thoughts and I honestly believe I will sleep better tonight knowing those negative thoughts are replaced with your positive words. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All that and I have clean socks too. Life is good, baby!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes! Thank you!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Jaynie for the great post. You are right, it's the little decisions that accumulate over time that make us successful. I'm not afraid of my time being finite, but I do want my time to be worthwhile, not looked back on with regret and wasted moments in a bottle. Life is so precious and so easy to take for granted. It's high time I start remembering that.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
The finiteness of life scares me sometime, but pausing to think about how brief our time is here also makes me realize that getting sober is not something to be put off…until later. I truly believe that being sober means that 520 possible weekends of excitement may lay ahead of me in the next decade (if I am lucky enough to still be alive). There are very few things in my life I am certain about, but I do believe absolutely that drinking would rob me of that potential.
"I can always do it later..." is either an act of bad faith or a conviction born of denial for mere mortals, if only because we cannot be certain of the truth of that statement. And because we know that, at some point, it will no longer be true. The appeal to "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die," is not only a nod to our mortality, but a further plea to make the most of the little time we have.

If we knew that we lived forever, why do anything? Every act, every behavior would be equally meaningless. Life itself would be meaningless.

It's precisely because we know that we will some day die that we create, take risks, procreate, mark milestones, suffer, fail, triumph, and strive to live in the moment. With eternal life, living in the moment would carry no meaning, one moment being as devoid of urgency and meaning as the next.

Life awaits. No one gets out alive.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
"I can always do it later..." is either an act of bad faith or a conviction born of denial for mere mortals, if only because we cannot be certain of the truth of that statement. And because we know that, at some point, it will no longer be true. The appeal to "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die," is not only a nod to our mortality, but a further plea to make the most of the little time we have.

If we knew that we lived forever, why do anything? Every act, every behavior would be equally meaningless. Life itself would be meaningless.

It's precisely because we know that we will some day die that we create, take risks, procreate, mark milestones, suffer, fail, triumph, and strive to live in the moment. With eternal life, living in the moment would carry no meaning, one moment being as devoid of urgency and meaning as the next.

Life awaits. No one gets out alive.
This. Is delicious. Namaste.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I must echo AO's sentiments and print out what EndGame wrote. Profound & very eloquent indeed. Namaste.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a silent killer - it secretly takes from us our most important possession, which is the time we have here on Earth. Since I got sober in August, I have felt like the brakes have been put on in my life. Time is not racing by as it once did - I am also not living from one purchase to the next too - or at least trying. Living in the moment is so powerful and I truly believe true happiness and serenity lie here - I have not found it yet but working towards.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jaynie awesome post! I've been struggling a bit lately and your post is exactly what I needed. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great post Jaynie, I kind of feel the same way. Drinking ones life away, tragic.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My dogs are teaching me how to live in the moment.

A good quote from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, one of my favorite books.

"To see things as though you are seeing them for the first or last time; thus will your days on earth be filled with glory."

I like that.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jaynie. Perfect words for today and all the days coming.

THINK POSITIVE, DRAW POSITIVE.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am bumping this terrific post.

Love this thought. It's definitely going to be one I return to.

Thank you Jaynie. As you put it, few things feel better than the choice of truly living.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Jaynie - thank you so much. I had never thought about it so perfectly and simply. Amazing post x