Notices

Your Brain and alcoholism.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your Brain and alcoholism.

OK, so I have a bit of a scientific curiosity as to why my physical make-up is different than normal social drinkers. So I have been scouring the internet trying to better understand my addiction and whats going on inside my body at the molecular level. This article is an extremely interesting read and it makes a TON of sense. Talks about why we are alcoholics, why 3 years into sobriety we are STILL alcoholics, and why our only course can only be total abstinence.

Why can't I stop drinking alcohol? | Liver Doctor

Enjoy
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks for the article, always looking for information. It sounds logical that once we are addicted that even though the urges can lay dormant that all that it takes is that first drink to awaken the beast once again.

I would surmise that the addictive reaction is same in the brain no matter the drug of choice. Even non ingestible addictions such as gambling and spending.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would not doubt it LAdyBlue, I thought of that myself shortly after I read it.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The THIQ theory has mostly fallen out of favor in recent years. More recent studies that still support a disease model of addiction have focused on reward pathways in the limbic system. Differences in Dopamine receptors, etc.