Notices

30 days sober!!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days sober!!

Today marks 30 days sober for me!! I found this site while searching for links to panic attacks and alcohol. I was trying to change everything but the drinking and this was 99% of all my issues.

This site has been a huge help to realize that it's not just me going through this. With help from a counselor, my family and and posting on SR, I have now been clean for a month!!! I hadn't realized how bad I was until I started this journey and looking back through the past few years I'm surprised I had anyone left that cared about me. I've lost the bloat (total 13 lbs), no panic attacks and I'm feeling like myself again.

Depression and low anxiety do come in waves still but I am learning to cope in a healthy way instead of running to the bar. I am so thankful I realized this before I did any more damage to my health or relationships. There is a life outside alcohol.

What are some good techniques to help fight urges future urges to "check out"/drink? Also, what are some of your favorite sober activities?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey BoatDaddy, 30 Days is Fantastic!!

When I arrive home from work, I always brew a large pot of Green/White Tea, then as the evening progresses I top up my mug, in the earlier Sober days it meant I had something physical in my hand, rather than a beer bottle or glass, though now that's not such a major thing, but it still keeps me occupied.

Other than that, going for long walks in the fresh air, checking out SR and I've found my old interest in reading again . . . just a few of my activities in the evenings!! . . . my favourite of all is enjoying hangover free mornings!!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days!!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

right on!!!

I'm a little over halfway there and looking forward to it.

Thank you for helping me stay sober today.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats boatdaddy

D
Old 01-13-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on thirty days sober! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days. Best way for me not to check out is to run or bike. Even in the cold, I have to keep running. I keep a log of my sober days and when I stop doing physical activity, I get over stressed and with no outlet, I cave and drink. I think of it as my medicine. Even if it is cold outside it is only one hour of my day and I always feel better afterwards. Stress is decreased, thoughts of alcohol are gone, I crave healthy food, more efficient/engaged in work, care about myself, care about my loved ones. I could go on and on.

I wish you the best. Again, GREAT JOB!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, today was day 31 and I felt like a lead weight has been lifted. I had what used to be a "trigger day" at work but I actually handled it well. My tactic was to just release what I can't handle and accept the fact that some things are out of my control. I am home with my family now and I feel great! I didn't run to a bar and I am so thankful.

Today has truly been a great day and playing with my kids reminds me how wonderful sober life is. No matter what, I always have the love of my family and I'm so thankful my drinking didn't ruin my marriage.

31 days sober has been good to me!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Great job, man.
I'm 2 days behind you and following in yer footsteps...

Keep it up!!!!

D.D.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Look at you BoatDaddy - you're really doing this thing. You're right - sober life is wonderful - you never needed that stuff after all.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MB8

Hey boat daddy. Congrats on 30 days My recommendation is this. You must stay diligent in working hard to stay sober. To me it was even harder as I got to the 2 month and beyond. This reason for that, for me, was because the first 30 days you are just so happy that you aren't drinking and your feeling great again. It's almost like your on this pink cloud and nothing can bring you down. And as time goes on that wears off and life is still there and the cravings will come. I absolutely don't tell you this to discourage you and again, this is only for me. I find that I must continue to fight the good fight and remember how bad it was because, for me, those feelings fade and the thoughts of, ah maybe it wasn't so bad or everybody else is drinking..... I like you have a wonderful wife and two beautiful girls and it feels great to be sober for and with them. But I cannot get complacent and forget how bad it was, for that is when bad things happen. Great job on 30 days buddy. That's a big accomplishment and you should be proud. Most of this was for me, and hoping it also helped you, as I am only 66 days and the thoughts of well maybe..... I can't let it happen. Congrats. MB8
Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing! Actually, I caught myself even thinking that today! My friends birthday is coming up and I was like "what's the harm in one beer". BUT then I went back and read my first post on here! It's true that you start to feel "normal" whatever that is, and then you think you can control that beast. In reality I appreciate the buddy check and I realize I can never drink. People like me always want more and drinking just snowballs into what just about killed me.

I would rather put that kind of laser like focus on being a good dad & husband.

Thanks again for the perspective and congrats on 2 months!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thats so awesome. I agree this site was a huge help. I am 2 days from making 30 days myself and am starting to really feel better. Hang in there and keep up the good work.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congratualtions x
Old 01-15-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

search Urge Surfing

Congrats on your first sober month!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well done! 30 days is amazing, double what I have :P

As for sober activities, I recently gave in to my boyfriend's offer of starting to play video games haha. Im not good yet but working on it. Shooting zombies is satisfying Really takes my whole attention away from drinking.