Notices

Committing to Sobriety

Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Committing to Sobriety

Saturday was a productive day for me as I accomlished a lot of wedding plans and I was able to do so partially because I was able to abstain from alcohol on Friday with the help of everyone here. I've also proved to myself than I am capable of abstaining from alcohol if I truly desire do so.

Unfortunately, as ashamed as I am to admit this to everyone here, I ended up consuming a bottle of champagne on Saturday evening after we got home. Nothing bad happened, but that really is besides the point. The point is I consumed alcohol and lied about it to my fiance.

Partially, I think I chose to get drunk on Saturday because I was acting out in my relationship. I feel that my decision to quit drinking alcohol should be entirely my decision alone and that no one else can make me do it. I don't like feeling controlled and its irritating when others want me to just quit like its no big deal, like a switch I can turn on and off. Not to say that I am justified in what I did, I am just trying to be aware of why I did it.

But then again, I learned something about myself this weekend. I enjoyed waking up sober and without a sour stomach, and despite not suffering any negative side effects, I didn't like waking up feeling guilty on Sunday. I've to come realize that I am not really missing anything by choosing to abstain over the weekend. In fact, I am learning that living a sober life is far more rewarding that wasting a night over a bottle of booze.

So I know I can make it through Friday, now I just need to keep it up through Saturday. This time I am not as scared and have learned some new skills to help me keep sober. I know I can do this so as long as I remain honest with myself and commit to living a sober life.

Last edited by newhope01; 01-13-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on seeing the positive, apply the lesson and push through for that Sober weekend, you can do it!!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's the way to do it. Learn skills, learn from what works and what doesn't and build on it. There are no secrets to recovery, except putting one foot in front of the other and hopefully feeling better each day. Good for you for having the confidence to know you can get through this.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for words of support. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to make it through the wedding without drinking.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You can do it xxx
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get thru the wedding without drinking. Have a little faith in yourself.