Notices

No withdrawal symptoms?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No withdrawal symptoms?

I am working on day 22 and have yet to experience physical withdrawal. I drank quite heavy every night for a few years, whether it was a bottle of whiskey, tequila, or vodka or some combination. Have any of you experienced the same? I am hoping I just caught myself before my body became physically dependent, idk.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's possible to not have physical withdrawal symptoms. I know I didn't the first several times I "quit" - but as I returned to drinking and attempted quitting the subsequent times got worse and worse. Consider yourself lucky!

There is also the unscientific "Pink Cloud" theory where you feel great for the first few weeks and then all of a sudden..bam! Not sure that the symptoms are physical at that point but definitely mental - and lots of people report it happening to them here.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The mental part is there for sure, driving me half crazy at times with my AV speaking to me rationalizing things. I am a strong woman and believe in myself. That is my one liner sentence I say out loud to drown out my AV.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I only went hard on the drinking for 4yrs, though it wasn't every day, withdrawals were gone in a week!! . . . at Day 22, I'd say your home and dry on the physical side of things!!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 22 days.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good job. No withdrawal for me and I'm about to hit 72 hours. I hope it doesn't come on tomorrow or something, but I haven't even had a headache. I did take one benzo yesterday night because I read that DTs can come at 48 to 72 hours. As soon as I read that, my hands began cramping which I attributed to oncoming DTs. After the benzo, my anxiety and paranoia were gone and so were the cramping hands. my hands were still there but the cramps not!

This is my first real time quitting. I've quit for a few days before. My drinking patterns were very erratic, but like you, I've been hitting it hard for the last year with some moderation late last year. Because of scheduling and stuff, I could not drink all day. At the end there, I was going through a pint a day and then some wine here and there when I got embarrassed about going through the pint so quickly. I've been told not to guess why and I agree, but I guess for me, I kept it at a minimal, barely buzzed state, then took a nap, then woke up, took more time off, then drank at night. I don't think I was drinking more than the recommended per hour most of the time but to make up for that, I would sometimes drink for hours on end. Who knows.

I've heard it gets worse every time you go on and off so that's going to be my excuse never to go back. I read about kindling last night and it's enough to scare me. Going to the hospital is beyond scary for me.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Done..I was a very heavy drinker too and I experienced no withdrawal symptoms when I first quit. when i relapsed i had some withdrawal for the first time.. you are just a hearty beast like me
Old 01-13-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I generally suffer for about three days.
And it's those three days that help keep me straight - the thought of feeling that way again is a terror.

If I didn't suffer withdrawals I'd be as good as dead, I think.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Definately hoping I can overcome this addiction the first go at it. But I am realistic, and know I am an addict, just hoping for the strength that I will need to endure this. I am turning 35 on Saturday and want to enjoy the rest of my life and be able to remember it.