Okay So now What

Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Okay So now What

I am at the end of my rope here. My AH is starting to get physically abusive to go along with the emotional abuse. I don't know what to do. We are not good financially. I can't afford to move out of our apartment. I have two adult children living with us. One is 22 (min wage job) the other is a college student age 20. My daughter witnessed his actions tonight. We started to call the police but I am afraid of getting kicked out of our apartment if that happened. Any advice ?? . Will the police come & take him away if I just call them the next time he is drunk ??
Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You need to leave. Physical abuse will only progress. You dont want to be dead one day. Even though your daughter is an adult, you need to show her by example...

There are domestic violence shelters. There are resources. You just need to get away. I am telling you from personal experience. You dont deserve to ever be assaulted in any physical or emotional way. Please think of your safety first and get out before this becomes the norm.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What state are you in? In California the police will arrest him if you report domestic abuse. Even if you call right now and it happened earlier today. What he is doing is against the law.

IAmThird is correct, abuse is progressive too. If you allow him to hurt you once and there are no consequences, what is preventing him from doing it again and more aggressively next time. Call the police and call a women's shelter to create a paper trail, get advice, counseling and create an exit plan.

Sending you a giant hug.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My thoughts are between the three of you, you and your adult children, there MUST be a way the three of you could pool a bit of resourses and get out if you WONT have you husband removed. Mental abuse is bad, scarring, painful, un necessary.
Physical abuse can kill you. Please do something.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You need to document it for one thing.

If you dial 911 they will take him away in 99% of cases but talk to a dv counselor in your area tomorrow - they will know what to do and how things work in your area, violence is intolerable and gets worse. The first time needs to be the last time and he needs to know that line is non negotiable.

The kids are not kids - have you discussed it? Will they support you?

Hang in there
Old 01-13-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice. The kids are on my side 100%. We are going to figure out how we can work this financially. I am going to talk wth someone today regarding the DV. He is a defense attorney so he knows how to work the legal system. But I am devising a plan of action. Thanks again. I know you are right, something has to be done. It will only get worse.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Originally Posted by NashMylwife View Post
Thanks for all the advice. The kids are on my side 100%. We are going to figure out how we can work this financially. I am going to talk wth someone today regarding the DV. He is a defense attorney so he knows how to work the legal system. But I am devising a plan of action. Thanks again. I know you are right, something has to be done. It will only get worse.
Dear NashMywife----I want to remind you that you can find confidential help and support from your local domestic violence center. They have the resources at their disposal for many of the services that you might need at this time. Such things as housing, food, counseling, legal assistance, job assistance, etc....as well as how to exit safely. So many times those that could use the help are not aware of what is available. These people are compassionate and non-judgemental--they exist to help those who are in situations just like yours. This phone number can help you make contact:

1-800-799-SAFE.

You are not alone---there is help...and, there are choices.

dandylion