Notices

Trying..

Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying..

I'm new to the forum and website. I'm 28 years old, I've been drinking since I was 20..but it had not become a problem until I got a DUI a couple years ago. I lost my car, my job and I was depressed for a while. I went thru a lot and I'm still trying to recover mentally. Anyway, I know I have alcoholism problems and I want to get treatment. I actually got a second DUI a month ago and I'm struggling a lot but I'm trying to stay positive. I have a really good job and I don't want my inability to control my behavior ruin this for me. I just need support.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ForGodsMercy - there's tons of support here

Do you have a plan for staying sober?

D
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR FGM

You will find a lot of support here!!

What kind of treatment are you considering?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Support you want, support you'll find. You've definitely come to the right place.

I know it seems terrible right now; but we're often at our lowest right before things start looking up. You're here, you're reaching out, you want to make a change... I'd say things are already looking up.

You'll get a lot of great advice and information here. Glad you found SR.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. I honestly want to see a therapist as I know my drinking is due to anxiety over unresolved issues and I'm willing to do an outpatient program if I find one I can afford.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All good starts FGM

Have you seen the links here on the site to tap in to available rehab/recovery/resources in your area?

A therapist is a great idea. Try to find one specializing in your area of need AND substance abuse. They are out there!

Read around here and share your questions and story and you will get lots of support!

Again, welcome to SR!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is also a thread called "Class of January 2014"

It's an ongoing thread for those of us quitting in January. We share our successes and our struggles. Lots of support there too from each other and some seasoned folks that pop in to offer wisdom and support.

Pop on in and say hi ...
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Kat! Will definitely check the thread out and I have faith I will find the right therapist to help with my problem.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Forgodsmercy...I agree things are looking up, as many alcoholics can't/won't see they have a problem. I'm also a struggling active alcoholic although I've managed to back off considerably. When I slip it can be BAD. The slips are just less frequent.But even one drink a week is more than an alcoholic should take. Eventually it will strike out of nowhere like a snake.....Anyway, after slipping, making determined promises, slipping, over and over again I've found what seems to work, for me. I must avoid caffeine which makes my cravings ten times stronger, and get on this board to start off my day. If I skip a day of this reading here, I may drink. AA is a great place to go if you just need to talk. Members there have helped me, even tho I haven't started working the steps with a sponsor yet. (I haven't totally decided if the program is right for me or not).There's so many friendly people who reached out and were willing to just let me vent about my problems or urge to drink, whatever. If you really give not drinking your best shot and never give up , I think you'll find what works for you.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you LS! That sounds a lot like me. I have been doing better and can totally relate to you! I seem to do good for a few days and then all of a sudden I slip. Now it seems like even tho I slip and don't drink Too much I find myself feeling extremely guilty the next day and I have a hard time forgiving myself for the mistake. Mostly because half the time it involves me driving which I know is really bad!! I hope you well tho and glad to hear about your progress!!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.