Notices

Day 6 Take 4 or More"

Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 6 Take 4 or More"

I'm new here, but not to recovery. I'm finding it tougher this time, for me anyway (no DT's or seizures, ever).

Unusual for me, my major concern is uncomfortable, constant bloating of my abdomen that started about a week before sobriety and hasn't changed at day 6. Day 2 I thought I felt some relief, but then I was constipated for 2 days and yesterday I ate too much, including high sodium foods such as chips and stew.

I'm also a "seltzer addict". When I was drinking it was plain seltzer with Tanqueray and lime. if I didn't pour a drink in a glass, I drank from my "cool cup with straw". now, sober, as in the past sobrieties, I continue to drink the same minus the Tanqueray in my "cool cup with straw".
I'm not trying to kid myself ... but I did read that the gas and acid from carbonated water (sodium-free) can cause a similar bloating, especially if drinking with a straw. So today, I cut out the seltzer ... wait and see tomorrow, as I already ate left-over stew today. I have to admit it was frustrating and sad, seeing as it is my favorite non-alcoholic drink.

I know this is a symptom of alcoholism, fatty liver, etc ... but now I've gotten myself worked up into reading about chirrosis.

Any feedback for this newbie?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hopefully you haven't done any permanent damage. Only a doctor and tests can tell for sure. In the mean time try and let it go its out of your control either way.

Best of luck by the way!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 6. I'd highly recommend seeing a doctor about your symptoms if you are worried, we can't diagnose or give medical advice here per the forum rules.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Abdomen pain and bloating was one of my major reasons to become Sober!! . . . for me it took a couple of weeks for the bloating to ease and my digestion system to almost reset itself, however the pains have only just eased after a couple of months.

Though everyone is different and if concerned checking in with a Dr is always a wise move!!

There are no quick fixes, the body needs to adjust in it's own time, each bodily system needs time to re calibrate without alcohol.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi welcome to sr, unsure about bloating, I did have some bloating when I stopped drinking but I drank a lot of fizzy drinks to replace the booze.

Might be worth a visit to the docs, though for check over x
Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome dasautobatgirl

I think if the regular over the counter anti-gas stuff isn't doing the trick, after 6 days it's best to see a Dr - it maybe nothing, but it's best to get it sorted?

D
Old 01-12-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you to all who gave advice and feedback to my post. I've never been in a forum before, so this is a wonderful surprise to see response so quickly!
I will give it a few more days and if no change, I will see my doctor for sure
Old 01-12-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you dasautobatgirl. We're happy to have you here. Good that you've made the decision to give recovery another shot. Congrats on your 6 days - I hope you begin to feel better.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hevyn, you were on the forum thread that got me here!!! I found it searching google and came across a thread "Physical Differences When Stopping Drinking". I recognized your quotes.