Courage To Change 01/12/14

Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 01/12/14

Early one morning I stopped to watch a colony of bees. A little intimidated by the frenzied motion and intense buzzing, I reminded myself that if I didn't poke my nose into their hive, I wouldn't get stung. If I chose to maintain a safe distance from a dangerous situation, I would be fine.
To me, that is exactly the lesson that detachment teaches. The choice is mine. When I sense that a situation is dangerous to my physical, mental, or spiritual well-being, I can put extra distance between myself and the situation. Sometimes this means that I don't get too emotionally involved in a problem; sometimes I may physically leave the room or end a conversation. And sometimes I try to put spiritual space between myself and another person's alcoholism or behavior. This doesn't mean I stop loving the person, only that I acknowledge the risks to my own well-being and make choices to take care of myself.

Today's Reminder

Now I know how to end an argument by simply refusing to participate, to turn to my Higher Power for help with whatever I'm powerless to change, to say, "No," when I mean no, and to step back from insanity rather than diving into it. Detachment is a loving gift I continue to give to myself and to others.

"If a man carries his own lantern, he need not fear darkness."
~Hasidic saying