Notices

Newcomer

Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LMF
LMF

Newcomer

Hi, I am new to this site. My daughter is a recovering alcoholic and maybe coming to stay with me while going back to school. Any advice out there, what to do or not to do. One of her biggest concern is idle time and finding new sober friends.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Have you considered AlAnon as a support for yourself?

Also, we have a Friends & Families forum on this board.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LMF
LMF

Yes, done that been there. Was hoping for some wisdom from recovering people
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Definitely idle time is not an alcoholic's friend, a routine and schedule to create a lifestyle that doesn't centre around sitting drinking is important, depends on your daughter's interests, I'm sure her school will have activities/societies etc to get involved in.

Support is a big thing too, does she go to AA meetings, or get involved in online Forums like this one?!!

If she's been sober for a while she'll probably already be thinking about these things anyway, as she was the person that made the decision to WANT to be sober, so may already have her own ideas!!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is great. I am sure we would love to chat with you about your situation. I go onto family support forum because I had alcoholic father, pill popping mother and now dealing with a new alcoholic family. My husbands family wich is mom and dad, sister and her husband, brother and his wife...well they all drink heavily but DO NOT THINK EVEN A MOLECULE IN THEIR BODY IS ADDICTIVE. Lucky my husband is with me and is only one not a drinker. cuz he was raised around abuse and fighting he does not favor the "evil elixir"
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would set reasonable boundaries for her, chores and such, and make sure she sticks to them. Let her know you love her but don't enable her.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Does she have a plan when she comes.? Is this her hometown or at least does she have old friends there that do not drink?
My mother would make sure no alcohol in house when I attempted to quit 6 years ago. SHe stocked fridge with sodas, sparkling juices, frozen juice popsicle(they r good when mouth craves), and lots of Chamomile and Valerian root teas. just a suggestion. ooh and lots of books and movies.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LMF
LMF

Thank you for all of your replies. I want to get ideas where she can go if she gets anxious and needs some help I guess to vent. She graduated with an art major but chooses not to do any paintings, I don't know if it's to painful or what. She doesn't to confide in me yet, I think this will take a long time for this. I really don't know why because I have always been positive and on her side.
Purpleknight thanks for your input
Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LMF
LMF

Kflee that's great too, she has been known to hide alcohol in the house. I only discovered this when I was deep cleaning, I hope since this was her idea she will be honest with herself because this is really just for her! I must admit I was very upset and disappointed when I discovered vodka, and wine hidden in the house.
I think movies and games are a good way to go! And she wants to join a gym! But most of all she needs to make sober friends!! That going to hard. Because it seems most young adults drink and drink a lot. All I can do is hope some how she can find sober friends.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LMF
LMF

Question Not sure how this works

I have made posts in newcomers venue, is there anything I should know or to be in another venue?