Notices

Down to one beer

Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Down to one beer

...............and was up ALL night.

Feeling a little punky, nauseaus, BP is okay. Guess I've just been delaying the inevitable, the obvious.

I'll keep taking my BP and hope for the best. Need to hang on just a while yet.

I have to get through today, take my husband to an appt tomorrow, and then the time is mine. He is sick.

Please say a prayer for me everyone.

Any suggestions?

Kris
Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kris - if you're down to one beer, then I think you'd be better off just stopping hun. One beer is just going to tease your brain into wanting more
What do you think? Xx
Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I agree with Skye. It must be torture. I hope your husband is ok, but look after yourself too. Why don't you speak to the doc about you? xxxxxx
Old 01-12-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, girls.

If I quit today, I'll maybe not be able to get him to his appt. I might be in acute withdrawal.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^^^ what they're saying. Why not just stop now and get on with a clean and sober life?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand your thoughts.

After 35 years, I've cut down from a bottle of vodka a day, to 10 drinks a night, to 4-5, to two beers, to one beer in less than a month. I have only one more day to go.

I don't want to be worse than I feel right now, before tomorrow is over. I have a sick husband who has to be at an appt tomorrow. Tuesday is my start to a new beginning. Just gotta get there.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kris. I and many here can identify with the word procrastination, not saying your doing it as you seem to have a decent reason, But mine lasted more than 2 years and almost caused my end of life. It's a good remember when I made so many promises to myself "I'll stop tomorrow." I finally got so sick and tired of being sick and tired that a flash of sanity struck me and I surrendered to the fact that I could NOT drink in safety.

BE WELL
Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am quite serious although I understand the doubting. I made a plan, came here one week ago and have followed it to a tee. After 35 years, you can believe I mean it now. I've procrastinated much of my life away, but not now.

My husband is sick, very, and after all the years he's given me I will do for him now regardless of anything. I intended all along to see a doctor but it took until Tuesday to get in as I'm a new patient in a new town. Tuesday is the day I have down and Tuesday is the day I QUIT. If he doesn't help me, and I have to, I'll go straight to the ER.

God willing.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
I am quite serious although I understand the doubting. I made a plan, came here two weeks and have followed it to a tee. After 35 years, you can believe I mean it now.

My husband is sick, very, and after all the years he's given me I will do for him now regardless of anything. I intended all along to see a doctor but it took until Tuesday to get in as I'm a new patient in a new town. Tuesday is the day I have down and Tuesday is the day I QUIT.

God willing.
Keep in mind Kris that you are the one asking us for suggestions, and the vast majority if us would suggest you see a doctor sooner rather than later. The reality of the situation is that "tapering" is merely postponing the withdrawal and it sounds like you are getting close to that with your symptoms described above and over the last few days.

We do understand your situation, but we also understand withdrawal and many of us have been through the hell of unassisted witdrawal. My suggestion would be to find someone who can assist you an your husband should you need it. Remember that you can't take care of him if you don't take care of yourself first. Be safe.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think this is a prime example of where culture clash comes in, because in the UK tapering is the norm

I also think, that Kris needs to do things her way until Tuesday and let's face it guys, she's got down from a bottle of vodka to one beer, so is pretty determined.

I think the best thing to do, is be here if she needs us
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Keep in mind Kris that you are the one asking us for suggestions, and the vast majority if us would suggest you see a doctor sooner rather than later. The reality of the situation is that "tapering" is merely postponing the withdrawal and it sounds like you are getting close to that with your symptoms described above and over the last few days.

We do understand your situation, but we also understand withdrawal and many of us have been through the hell of unassisted witdrawal. My suggestion would be to find someone who can assist you an your husband should you need it. Remember that you can't take care of him if you don't take care of yourself first. Be safe.
This is the first opportunity to see a doctor. I could have seen a doctor in my hometown but that is 1000's of miles away now. I have expedited things as much as I've been able. A week ago, I said Tuesday was the day and it will be if God allows me that. I REALLY TRULY AND SINCEREELY THANK ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN HELPING ME JUST GET THROUGH THE DAYS TILL TUESDAY. I'm making no excuses as it would only be detrimental to me. Huge things are at stake.

I would have explained the situation clearer but still feel the need to remain somewhat anonymous. My husband is ill and that still comes first right now.

I've never wanted anything more in my life as I do this now. I just want to get through it without any ill effects. I have heart problems, wonder why?
Then I can take care of myself and my husband for the time he has left.

We all have our stories. I'm hoping for a good chapter this next one. I am the main character in mine but there'd be no story without all of you...........the characters that surround me.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes unassisted withdrawal is miserable. I couldn't handle it and went to the ER.

With doctor assisted detoxes, they tell you MAKE SURE you have someone around that can be with you. I hope your husband is in well enough condition to make sure you're not hallucinating or something.

Going to a doctor would solve all of this. You don't know if they will make you stay there for days. They might just give you meds and send you home. It's just always better to go to the doctor. Let the pros tell you your risk.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you to have brought it down to one beer. It seems as though that beer may be as much a psychological need as a physical one (although your physical withdrawal issues definitely need attention). My husband and I both quit drinking as a result of my his acute illness and emergency surgery as well as complete loss of income. God works in ways that may seem convoluted and frustrating to us. I'll be praying for both you and your husband in the days to come.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
I think this is a prime example of where culture clash comes in, because in the UK tapering is the norm

I also think, that Kris needs to do things her way until Tuesday and let's face it guys, she's got down from a bottle of vodka to one beer, so is pretty determined.

I think the best thing to do, is be here if she needs us
Yes it's an odd one in the UK... I'm a member of a well known parenting site where they have an addiction charity posting to help those with alcohol or drug problems - they recommend cutting down by one drink a day. I always find it odd to read - so 2 bottles of wine a night (12 glasses) becomes 11 etc - I'd never have that kind of self control over 12 days!

Anyway I don't want want to start a tapering debate. All the best for Tuesday Kris, you're doing fantastically I hope all goes well with your partner's appointment tomorrow
Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I absolutely agree that you are dragging out the pain of withdrawal at this point. And, do talk to your dr or go to an ER if you are concerned.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLifeAt60 View Post
Good for you to have brought it down to one beer. It seems as though that beer may be as much a psychological need as a physical one (although your physical withdrawal issues definitely need attention). My husband and I both quit drinking as a result of my his acute illness and emergency surgery as well as complete loss of income. God works in ways that may seem convoluted and frustrating to us. I'll be praying for both you and your husband in the days to come.
Thank you. I need all the prayers I can muster. Sending some you way, too.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
Yes it's an odd one in the UK... I'm a member of a well known parenting site where they have an addiction charity posting to help those with alcohol or drug problems - they recommend cutting down by one drink a day. I always find it odd to read - so 2 bottles of wine a night (12 glasses) becomes 11 etc - I'd never have that kind of self control over 12 days!

Anyway I don't want want to start a tapering debate. All the best for Tuesday Kris, you're doing fantastically I hope all goes well with your partner's appointment tomorrow
Thank you.

I went from 4 for two weeks to two and now one in the space of a week.

Looking forward to seeing you sober.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Maybe I should quit posting for awhile.

Sorry.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I absolutely agree that you are dragging out the pain of withdrawal at this point. And, do talk to your dr or go to an ER if you are concerned.
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sending you my support Kris. Sounds like you have a plan and just want to get through this appointment with your Hubby. I can understand that...sending you prayers for strength.

Please take good care and do what you need to do.