she's at the center of it all, but is she a user?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

she's at the center of it all, but is she a user?

My sister's last three men have all been drug addicts. One is currently in jail, one in prison for meth, and the other is her current boyfriend who has a new sob story every day related to financial difficulties.

Between the two of them, we have heard some of the most far fetched sob stories, mostly about car trouble, terrible gas mileage in their vehicle (her boyfriend claimed to have spent 1,200 in one month on gas...after doing that math I realized that the most they could spend is 600), sudden urgent needs for new work boots, urgent needs for $40 to $60 cash, items allegedly being stolen from them, loosing jewelry and/or cell phones constantly,

She never has any money, she has almost never provided her kids enough to eat. She is very secretive, cannot stand to have her picture taken, and will not use facebook.

However, she doesn't look like she uses meth or any other drugs. She is good looking and young looking for her age. She is thin, but not as thin as your typical druggie. Despite all of this, is it still possible that she is abusing drugs?

Her daughter recently was arrested on drug related charges as well. To protect my identity as much as possible, I won't say much more.

How is it that she's in the center of all of this and NOT a drug user?

Are these financial sob stories common for drug users?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

How is it that she's in the center of all of this and NOT a drug user?
She could be a very sick codie. Codependents often take on the traits and behavior of the addict or alcoholic, they are addicted to their drugs and we are just addicted to them and their drama.
If she is a very sick codie, even if she is not using herself, she will make up bs stories to cover up for the addict and to hide her enabling.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is very difficult to say whether people are using drugs or not and you will not be able to see it clearly on everyone.

Welcome to SR.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Having been on this merry-go-round for a few years with my AS, I have to say that all the red flags are present. It could be possible that she's not using, but if it were my sister, I would work on the assumption that she is. The constant and urgent needs for money is the biggest red flag of all.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You never really know. Some codependents are just so codependent that they believe the lies and then repeat them. Their codie behavior does not have a BS filter. You know it sounds crazy..but she may not. Or she may be a druggie herself.

There is a girl who is 15 that goes to my daughter's school. She is ate up with drugs and openly admits to taking them, and I have seen photos of her doing drugs on Instagram. I called the police.

She is thin but other than that, looks normal. She is a beautiful girl and it is a true shame. Not all of them look like a hot mess all the time. This girl's parents are losers and her grandmother has custody of her. Unfortunatly grandma is aging and has not been taught any education how to spot this or what to do about it, so she keeps giving her money and enabling her. It's very sad.

Lucky for me, my daughter at this point is disgusted with drugs and alcohol, she is 14. I hope she stays this way forever!

I am sorry to hear that about your sister. Even if she is not a user herself, it sound like she is in a toxic relationship. I hope you do whatever you can to protect (and feed) her children.

Gentle Hugs.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
She could be a very sick codie. Codependents often take on the traits and behavior of the addict or alcoholic,
My own level of codependency led me into alcoholism. I was so caught up in being with him, I was completed blind to what was happening to me or to him. I would do anything, say anything, cover up anything... just to show him I was on "his" side... I wanted to be as important to him as I had made him to be in my own life...
I didn't understand addiction back then... and I didn't know the term codependent... it was just "love" to me back then... a twisted, sick, controlling, manipulative love... but it was the only thing I understood at the time.