Notices

Started My Life Over at 55

Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started My Life Over at 55

Hello. I have been in addiction recovery for 10 plus months. I was addicted to prescription drugs for 40 years. I began taking opiates for a medical problem at age 14, and continued to use the drugs to help me feel numb due to the traumatic life I had lived as a child, and continued to live for the past four decades. I am now 55 years old, and trying to start my life over.

It has been incredibly difficult this past year as I have lost everything that I had in my life, including friends, and family. I have ruined my marriage, and my relationships with my children have been compromised. I am working so hard every day to try to rebuild my relationships, trust, and security with all those who I hurt. Some of these relationships are over, and the finality of that realization is challenging.

I did not use any "program" to help me through my recovery, as I did not feel it was a fit for me. I have a team of professionals, including a life coach/energy healer, who has been guiding me through my recovery. She has been coaching me in life skills/coping skills that I never developed due to drug use, and my parents did not have the skills themselves to teach me.

Addiction has been a part of my family for generations, and I am finally breaking the chain. One of my children has just started her recovery from drug and alcohol addiction as well. We are working together to heal ourselves, and our relationship. My other two children, and I continue to work at a slow and steady pace to heal.

I have started two businesses in the past 10 months, one of which is a website where I am able to share my story of "Recovery, Rebirth, Release," and offer resources to others for addiction recovery, and "Whole Healthiness." I have been living a "Clean and Green" lifestyle, one day at a time since I went into treatment on April 3, 2013. I also began a gluten/dairy free lifestyle, (mostly grain free too, and cut way down on sugar!) and I create and share "Gl-Airy Free" recipes every Sunday on my website as well. My health has improved a great deal since I have implemented these lifestyle changes.

My hope is to empower other addicts, their families and communities with my story of "Recovery, Rebirth, Release," and dream to start a foundation, and a sober living home for addiction recovery.

I truly believe that "With faith, hope, and love, anything is possible." I also believe that my life was saved to help others who struggle with this disease, which has reached epidemic status globally.

Please keep the faith, and hope, and love yourself enough to stay "Clean and Green, ONE DAY AT A TIME."

Blessings

Last edited by Dee74; 01-11-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: PM
Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Startingover - it's a great site that you've found Looking forward to reading your posts and great to have you with us
Old 01-11-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

right on!

Thank you for sharing your story and helping me stay sober today.

Also - I think it's fantastic that you're working to turn your years of suffering into a new path that can help not only you stay sober and joyous but make a positive difference in the world for others who still suffer as well.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I started my life over at 45. Its' never too late and good to give something back xxx
Old 01-11-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your response. It feels awesome to have support!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm looking to turn my life over for the better right now, I will be 40 soon. I know that's younger than yours but it does not really matter, what matters in my opinion is the change, and actively working on making changes. Alcohol has been my drug of choice.

Stay strong!

Last edited by Dee74; 01-11-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: pm
Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group, Starting over,

Kudos for starting over and giving back! Good luck to you!

The greatest part of healing from most anything is in the helping of others with the same problem.

I have found the people here do just that!

Kris47
Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. I will pray for you. You stay strong as well.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you. I will pray for you. Stay strong as well.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

All the best on your new beginnings!
Peace

D.D.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Good luck with your journey Startingover and thank you for sharing your story. I like that you are looking to turn your experiences into a positive by helping others. Just be a little wary of taking on too much while you are still dealing with your own stuff. I am in my forties and tapering my way out of a long-standing addiction and changing career at the same time so it's nice to be here with others in the same boat. Welcome to the site. Best wishes, Meg
Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustMeg View Post
Good luck with your journey Startingover and thank you for sharing your story. I like that you are looking to turn your experiences into a positive by helping others. Just be a little wary of taking on too much while you are still dealing with your own stuff. I am in my forties and tapering my way out of a long-standing addiction and changing career at the same time so it's nice to be here with others in the same boat. Welcome to the site. Best wishes, Meg
Hi Meg! Thank you so much for your support. I do forget many times that it is still early in my recovery, and take on way more than I should. I appreciate the reminder! I am looking forward to giving and getting support on this awesome platform! Blessings! Wendy
Old 01-12-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome and thank you for sharing!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! great post!!