Notices

new to this

Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to this

So i am checking into a rehab facility tomorrow. Any advice on what I can expect?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bring warm clothes. Notebooks, Pens, Unopened cigarettes if you smoke, u going for 1 week to detox or inpatient?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So anyways you will need warm clothes. Most everyone wears sweats, gym shoes, slippers at night. Bring your own blanket and pillow, Bring plenty of cigarettes if you smoke. , They will go through all your things to check for paraphenalia.. Your shampoo bottles, your toothpaste etc.

If it is just detox, they will just make you comfortable for 5-7 days. Give meds to help. They will bring AA and NA meetings into you. 3 meals a day. The staff is usually quite compassionate .Take you out for smoke breaks every couple hours.

There is a TV , Recovery literature.

If you are going in patient for 90 days there will be people of all walks of life if it is a bigger facility. They frown on male and females getting together. So if you get to chummy with someone of the opposite sex just know they will nip that in the bud immediately.

You will probably be assigned a counselor. There will be small groups and class like settings throughout the day. you will be doing a lot of journaling and reading of AA and or NA material, assignments etc.

Movies on addiction etc.

Speakers from NA and AA will come in frequently. You will be assigned daily chores. I guess that depends if you are going to a high priced rehab or not.

On the weekends they may plan an outing to the park or bowling etc with chaperones of course.

You will probably share a room with someone else.

Speciific times are set for watching tv. priviledges are taken away for various reasons if you break any rules. You will proabaly not be allowed to use the phone the first 48 hours, They want you away from your conneections if drugs were your problem.

It can be fun but all depends on your attitude. If you are not there for the right reasons you will be miserable. if you are there for the right reasons you may be enlightened.

Bring lots of paper. Lots of writing. You will learn a lot but it is not a cure for addiction but it will arm you with some facts about addiction and you will learn some things about yourself..

It is only the beginning, I wish you the very best!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

GO TO SLEEP DEEKER! kidding ... welcome sax - hope you make the best of it.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safe2breathe View Post
GO TO SLEEP DEEKER! kidding ... welcome sax - hope you make the best of it.
lol I know right! nite nite
Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh hang out in the chat... i am BORRED.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's tough the first few days and then you get to know your peers. I don't want to say it's like a big slumber party because everyone there needs major help. But you will make friends and learn a lot if you allow it. I ate tons of apples at rehab! Good luck