Notices

So worried

Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So worried

My husband is an alcoholic. He has been to rehab twice with moments of sobriety which go back to binge drinking - including black outs. Today I haven't been able to get a hold of him all day - he works out of town. When he drinks, it is not always unusual for him to ignore my calls and texts - but I'm so concerned right now. I can't contact his work because he's under a program now where if they catch him drinking he will immediately be fired. I am so unsure of what to do. I am so sick of this bull - it's a constant run on the hamster wheel. How do I get off? Do I want to? Should I beg, plead him to stop drinking once and for all. I cry way too much - I know my kids know what's going on again - I want to protect them. I'm so confused - so worries. What do I do. This has been going on for years.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

There is a friends and family of alcoholics section here which is really helpful. Sorry for your predicament. I hope he is ok. Look after yourself and your kids foremost. I used to hide when I was on a bender, I do hope he isn't, but do check out the friends and family bit x
Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kristen

I'm sorry for your situation but I'm glad you've found us - support is every important.

Unfortunately for most alcoholics, like me, we'll only quit when we accept there's a problem.

Have you tried something like AlAnon for yourself?

D
Old 01-10-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kristen, I hope you find some peace in your life.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Is it possible to take the kids and go elsewhere for a while? It doesn't sound like a good atmosphere for them, or for you. I also hope you can find some peace in your life and your children's lives.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kristen- First of all welcome.

If begging and pleading your loved one to stop drinking actually worked; there wouldn't be any alcoholics.

If being threatened, coerced, or guilted into stopping actually worked, every alcoholic would be able to put the bottle down.

Unfortunately, none of those work. You can't love an alcoholic into sobriety. All you can do is take care of yourself and your children.

Only 3 things stop alcoholics from drinking; their own desire to stop, jail, or death. You have no power over him. Only power over how you react to his drinking.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know that I know all this deep in my heart. I just wish I could get up the courage to follow through with my threats over time. I know he needs help and that he needs to find the strength from within to beat this disease. The first two trips to rehab were mandated by his work. He told me a couple weeks ago he didn't even need to go at all. He says drinking is his outlet, etc. He also blames others for his unhappiness - I can't count the number if times I have been told that it's my fault. He has has DUI, been in fights resulting in injuries and almost lost his job on two occasions - what does it take? I know I am codependent and just as sick as he is. Thanks for your responses - feels good to not be alone 🌹
Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi- Welcome and I feel for you and the pain you are going through. When I was deep in my addiction unfortunately the only thing I thought of was how I was going to get more alcohol and myself and how I was feeling.

I do agree that Al-Anon may be a good option. They have a 12 step program as well and I've heard it is a great place to vent and be around others to explore how to better take care of yourself. I wish it was that easy to say that one can control an alcoholic and get them to stop but this isn't always the case and will just cause you more frustration in your life to keep trying and beating your head against a brick wall.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kristen0408 View Post
I know that I know all this deep in my heart. I just wish I could get up the courage to follow through with my threats over time. I know he needs help and that he needs to find the strength from within to beat this disease. The first two trips to rehab were mandated by his work. He told me a couple weeks ago he didn't even need to go at all. He says drinking is his outlet, etc. He also blames others for his unhappiness - I can't count the number if times I have been told that it's my fault. He has has DUI, been in fights resulting in injuries and almost lost his job on two occasions - what does it take? I know I am codependent and just as sick as he is. Thanks for your responses - feels good to not be alone 🌹
Have you read any threads about "detaching"? See if you can find some posts about it on the "family and friends" forum. At first detaching felt like I was giving up but as time went on it is what saved me.

If nothing else, stop threatening without following through. I have found that it is better to say nothing than to do that. Alcoholics are so damn manipulative and grab onto anything they can to keep drinking. Blame and guilt are part of their game. So is knowing when to tune out a loved one, who they know, never follows through on what they say. All they hear is "blah, blah, blah" while thinking "drink, drink, drink".