OT what's for supper?

Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT what's for supper?

I'm getting tired of the same ol same old... I've notice we have a few people who enjoy cooking. I'm not sure I fall into that category but I try. I look up new recipes from time to time and like to try new things. Usually what goes over well what the kids is not as appetizing for me. I like to keep it nutritional without being to boring, no allergies to complicate it, no abstinence from meat or milk so it leaves a pretty wide window open. I personally love flavor! Citrus, spice, herbs... Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, tonight we made chicken tacos with black beans. DD likes them as soft tacos, RAH & I prefer them over tortilla chips.... Chicken nachos

We have the same dinner time rut going on here, we all have such different tastes sometimes and I struggle with it mostly on work/school nights.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We usually have some sort of alteration for the kids each meal to, everyone likes this or doesn't want that. I'm ok with leaving something off but I gave up on being a short order cook. On busy nights (girlscouts or church) we usually just grab a pizza but I'm starting to hate it.

I think we had tacos/enchiladas 3xs last month. I love me some tacos!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I bought a spaghetti squash the other day. Hubz hates it but we're eating clean now since I have to watch what I eat. I browned venison bacon burger (I butchered it myself ) with garlic, soy sauce, worchesshire sauce, onions, green and red peppers in a skillet and then added corn and broccoli.

I made him rice and mixed it for him. I stuffed the squash with mine. In the cleaned squash, I cut 3 slivers of butter and added garlic powder, onion powder, salt n pepper. Add meat mixture with some of the broth and bake at 375 for 45 minutes or so. UM!!!

The ground bacon in the venison gets crispies in the oven!

The left overs were ahhhhmazing! Popped it back in the oven and OMG.

Tonight though, I'm having a turkey sub from subway. lol Doing a 16 hr shift n didn't have time to cook.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love to cook but I feel like I'm in a food rut too. Maybe because I ate so much over the holidays? Tacos are a go-to meal around here also. I love them and they're pretty healthy. I use ground turkey and black beans.

Another easy meal I like a lot is baked spinach and cheese ravioli. Just put some sauce in a baking dish, layer with frozen ravioli, thinly sliced zucchini, and sauce with mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top. Cover and bake at 350 for an hour.

Wish I had some exciting ideas to share but I am not feeling creative tonight.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I follow a meal plan. I have to or I'll go crazy. No special meals for kids here. You eat what's served or you'll be awfully hungry at breakfast time. Kids won't starve from missing one meal. The meal plans I use are from eatathomecooks.com. We don't get the same thing every week, so it's nice to not have to dread meatloaf again. If there's a meal on there that I know none of us will like, I have enough staples to substitute something else instead. Tonight is leftover night because I caught the plague, and we have Pineapple Chili, Italian Seasoned Salt Pork Roast, and King Ranch Chicken to choose from in the fridge/freezer.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I made chilli the other night and had some left over so tonight was nachos. They were great! I made a huge pan and put them on the counter for everyone to snack on. Easy and good and all gone!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Beef (top round) strogonoff on buttered egg noodles and cold pea/cheddar salad.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Homemade potato-leek soup...it's a Weight Watchers recipe but super-delicious!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm moving on Monday, back to my beloved neighbourhood (see previous posts by me).

Sooo... in anticipation of packing my kitchen tomorrow, I ordered and picked up Mango Chicken from my neighbourhood Thai place and brought it back to the suburbs to re-heat tonight. Yummm. I'll order in or make due tomorrow and Sunday evenings.

I don't post much these days but read often. I've learned a lot here and I'm grateful for all of you.

Bon Apetit all,
Chick

Last edited by Chickadees; 01-10-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: ETA forgot an s
Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Tonight I just had a spam sandwich. I like Spam.

Tomorrow, I'm making Chicken Enchilada Soup. I bought the mix from a girl at work for her son's fundraiser for school. It came with two packets and I used one packet a while back. It was very good...better than I thought it would be.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
Tonight is leftover night because I caught the plague, and we have Pineapple Chili, Italian Seasoned Salt Pork Roast, and King Ranch Chicken to choose from in the fridge/freezer.
My dad does this every week at his house. Whatever is in the fridge that's left over, it all gets heated up and they all pick from it. GONE. Onto the next week.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Easy Peasy
Roast lemon and herb chicken with fingerling potato's and a side of Brussels sprouts, apple, onion succotash.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Tonight I just had a spam sandwich. I like Spam.
There's a Hawaiian-themed food truck in my city that does Spam sushi, like this:

I'm working up the nerve to try it!

For me tonight, it's leftover meat sauce with pasta and a salad from a bag. Nice and simple.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

^^^^^
Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I'm on a sugar purge - so tonight it's meatballs (organic free range), romaine lettuce salad and veggies and a boiled egg.

I know it probably sounds horrible but it will feel good to stop this sugar addiction I have....so that means no sugars and no refined carbs.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
I browned venison bacon burger (I butchered it myself ) with garlic, soy sauce, worchesshire sauce, onions, green and red peppers in a skillet and then added corn and broccoli.

I made him rice and mixed it for him. I stuffed the squash with mine. In the cleaned squash, I cut 3 slivers of butter and added garlic powder, onion powder, salt n pepper. Add meat mixture with some of the broth and bake at 375 for 45 minutes or so. UM!!!

The ground bacon in the venison gets crispies in the oven!
Dear LAWD. I'm on my way over
Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

wysiwyg- I'm sorry but that is just sooo wrong, on so many levels! hahaha. I can't even bring myself to copy and paste that nasty looking "food" in this post as a "quote". It would take MAJOR courage or a major drinking bout for me to try spam sushi!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm making chicken pad Thai. My toddler loves it, but shes a food snob and refuses regular kid food like mac n cheese, chicken fingers, fish sticks, etc. Skinnytaste.com has great whole recipes that taste amazing and are calorie conscious. I really love smittenkitchen.com for days where I feel like cooking something delicious and a little indulgent. Her blog is amaze and all of her recipes are phenomenal, though definitely not for anyone who is watching their weight.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Dear LAWD. I'm on my way over
Well, I have a pic of it from the day after because a FB friend wanted to see it. lol So here it is before I re heated it at work. I just throw it right on a plate and eat it from the bowl.