Notices

Relapse prevention...

Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse prevention...

I just need an accountability thread...

It's been a bad week. Emotionally I have been all over the place, lots of anxiety. All the stuff that would have me reaching for the bottle. I have had more cravings this last week than I have for the past year! I think in part coming up to two years I feel a bit pressured, like this shouldn't ever be an issue, so my AV comes out to test me. It has also been suggested to me by my therapist and tests confirm that I am on the autistic spectrum and that has been playing on my mind a bit, almost like there was a reason and if I can learn to cope with that maybe the drinking wouldn't be so bad... I know better than that though.

So I am supposed to be going out tomorrow night, I do occasionally and it's fine. But the way I feel now if the slightest thing goes wrong I might be tempted to slip... and the only way I know to protect myself from stuff like that is by posting here. I'll be back in a day or two, hopefully still sober

x
Old 01-10-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

See you when you get back without a hangover x
Old 01-10-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

sometimes it's good to go back to basics:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

especially playing the tape through and urge surfing.

more generally...I think a lot of times we feel pressure to be better faster strong, or just more along than we actually are.

The thing we miss in that is that this is OUR journey - nooone else's.

I was still battling the drink impulse from time to time in my second year - I had a few upheavals that year...but I knew enough to know that drinking doesn't solve problems, action does.

I had to look at what I was feeling scared or overwhelmed about and deal with that, the root causes, not the symptoms.

I know you'll be ok Hypo.
Don't listen to that voice - it lies.

D
Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, you have a lot more experience than me at staying sober- BUT, I am supposed to always have a PLAN when I go out. So, I'm supposed to anticipate any issues that might arise and have an action plan in place so that I don't relapse. Maybe that will help?

And as for Autism (a subject near and dear to my heart because of a MUCH LOVED family member of mine)-

Substance abuse is dangerous for anyone, but someone with autism may face more risks when they try drugs or alcohol. According to autismhelp.org, “Autism Spectrum Disorder often affects the skills that are needed to use drugs and alcohol sensibly and safely – social skills, insight, organization and understanding what is appropriate behavior in a given context.” (2) Drugs and alcohol may also have a different effect on autistic brains, making them more dangerous to the user.

Hang in there!!! Sending you my best.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, my head has been lying to me a lot lately.

I was thinking the other day how much drinking doesn't solve anything. I just don't know how to deal with my anxiety, it makes me crazy. I know it won't last though so I suppose there is that to cling on to. I am not sure I'll ever be anything but scared and overwhelmed...

Thanks Kate and Dee x
Old 01-10-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I have never been great at appropriate behaviour...

I have my escape plan at the ready. Getting home to walk the dog is an unarguable excuse to leave anywhere early Thanks EverySngleNight x
Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do it. Hang tough. Have an enjoyable sober evening.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are doing the right thing by coming here and making a plan. You can get through this.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Telling on myself here on SR whenever I feel my AV really tugging at me is what keeps me accountable and sober. Think of all us SR angels on your shoulder shaking our fists at that sleazy little AV devil on your other shoulder.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this, hypo! You are so smart to see the signs of mental relapse and put it out there! Now you have the desire to stay sober and a solid exit plan. Just keep telling that av to shut it's pie hole and you will be great. Look forward to hearing how it went.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Still here, still sober

I did the smart thing and cancelled my night out. Turns out people don't disown you when you do that And my girlfriends had their own sh;t to deal with that made it more convenient to reschedule.

I think I need to look at my recovery/life balance though. Recently I have been being more social and started seeing someone who doesn't really drink but will have the odd pint. It is weirdly not good for me to be around big drinkers or casual ones. I need more alcoholics in my life!

Thank you for letting me use you guys for support and as my sounding board x