Notices

smoking ...

Old 01-10-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

smoking ...

when I drank I'd smoke a pack of ciggs in no time. now I've stopped drinking but I'm smoking a pack of ciggs and now its giving me the cravings to drink. is there any one here that's quit smoking and give me some tips. I quit for 6 days 2 weeks ago but I was just so miserable and even a pin drop would set me off so I had to run out and get a pack...plus I'm just so sick of spending money on the damn things such a waste but I can't stop..
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit cold turkey almost 4 years ago. I kept busy as could be for 3-4 weeks. I painted my house, organized the kitchen, closet, bathroom, ect. Exercised, cooked complex meals. As soon as I thought about smoking, I got up and did something. Random push-ups, pull-ups, anything to get my mind off it.

Last year a friend left a pack at my house. I got drunk and decided to have one. It was so disgusting I couldn't even finish it. Keep at it, after 28 days you wont get the cravings nearly as bad. Rip the band aide off quickly; don't rely on the patch, gum or e-ciggs. They just prolong the misery.

Just to add. I had to really want to quit. I crushed my pack every night for years, just to wake up in the morning to buy another pack because I wasn't really ready...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We have a stop smoking support thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-14.html

You are more and welcome.

I stopped 3 months ago, I was a rather dedicated smoker

It was hard. I was useless for 3 days, miserables for a week and depressed for a month, but if we hang in there – addictions let us go and we move on.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes that's where I am right now I'm crushing my pack to wake up and see jf there's any that are smokable then I go out and buy another pack. I'll have to try the push up and keeping my self busy thing. tommorows my day I can t keep smoking its making me want to drink and you smell like an ashtray.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks soberhawk for that smoking thread very usefuk
Old 01-10-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lot's of gum... LOL

Can't speak for everybody, but I think nicotine may have been more addictive than alcohol... Just a smidgen... :-)

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I started using a personal vaporizer instead of smoking. I quit this way before & it's the only thing that's worked for me personally. I was able to reduce the nicotine over time until it's down to zero, then stop. I'm a 20 year smoker at only 34! (YIKES!!!)

Not sure how long you've been sober, but you may want to take it easy on yourself if you're still in the early stages. I haven't had much luck attempting both at once!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yea lol lots and lots of gum..and Ive been sober for about a month or more. didn't keep the date in mind just needed to do it like I do with smoking ..
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think nicotine is far more addictive than alcohol. I still can't wrap my head around the idea of not smoking....yet.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I think nicotine is far more addictive than alcohol. I still can't wrap my head around the idea of not smoking....yet.
I was scared stiff when I planed to stop.

It is hard in the beginning after a month the benefits outweigh the cost.

Now after 3 months, the benefits far outweigh the cost.

I still miss it but, urges pass.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

its going to be a rough one but im ready. its just going to be hard at work 2 of my co workers smoke and there always asking me to go have one. but I'm spending far to much on them a pack a day to kill myself slowly. my fingers are yellow from it my clothes stink. I'm sure after I come in after having one my 9 month old can smell it on me when I hold him and that's not fair to him. it seems to be far more addictive then drinking ...
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm going to be going through what you are in a couple of weeks. I never smoked when I drank. Just didn't have the craving for it and it would make me nauseous. Now that I've quit drinking, I'm smoking about half a pack a day. I told myself one thing at a time but now that I'm working out more, the time has come to say goodbye to the nicotine. I wish the best for you and know that I'll know what you're going through very soon.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I bought myself a little present everyday when I first quit. A lot of smell good stuff like cologne and hair gel. I still went crazy but it kept me motivated. Positive music helped too. Then after a couple weeks I bought myself a nice pair of boots. Money was a big motivator cuz I was spending 20 plus a day on beer and cigs. After a month or so you'll catch yourself not obsessing about a cig and its funny cuz you'll be like "oh yeah, I'm supposed to be craving a cigarette right now!" Weird thing was when a family member would mention I was doing good quitting I'd really want to go have a smoke! Just press on through and think of all the money you'll save and as a side benefit your health will improve.
-Ted
Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I never started smoking! I can't imagine trying to cease two addictions at the same time...
Old 01-10-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm in a similar boat. I quit drinking completely about 2.5 months ago but the smoking has stayed with me. It doesn't give me cravings to drink but I know I need to leave this habit behind as well. I didn't want to tackle it at the time I was fighting with my drinking addiction but I think the time is near to leave the smokes behind as well.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I chain smoked when I drank and I actually think it made the hangovers much more severe. Nothing worse than being nauseated and smelling that pungent stale tobacco smell in your hair and fingers. If you are really sick of it read Alan Carrs book and just stop cold turkey. I know it sounds easier said than done but it can be done. I haven't had a cigarette for 3 months and I smoked constantly. All the best, your lungs, family and wallet will thank you for it.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If someone asked me if I smoke, I would say no. The problem is that the me that drinks smokes. I hate it, it bugs the crap out of me. I have managed to really cut back but I still want to stop completely. I agree about the hangover part, smoking makes you feel worse.

Smoking is so utterly pointless.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Drink lots of apple juice it levels your blood sugar. I used jolly ranchers also. Every time I got a craving I just popped a rancher. If you can make it seven days you are usually good
Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just walked outside one day, and I was going to give away my ciagrettes to the first person I saw smoking. I didn't see anyone, so I just threw them in the trash can at the corner. That was August 18th, 2013. I haven't had a smoke since. And I don't want to.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You will smell so much nicer. When you smoke you can smell it a little bit but it's nothing compared to the putrid stench that a non smoker smells. I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and the guests sitting next to me both smoked and frequently went outside for a cig- the smell when they returned was unbelievable and the breath smell mixed with alcohol is something else. I smelt like that every day. Give it a week and you will start to notice. You really should give up if it triggers drinking. I understand as it was the same for me.