Notices

First sober weekend coming up

Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sober weekend coming up

Feeling a bit antsy. Five days in and approaching my first sober weekend. I would normally start binging in about 3hours. This will be the real test of my determination to remain sober.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went through this just 3 weeks ago and I was scared. Hell, I am scared today right beside you. You are not alone and we CAN do this.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Main thing is having a plan, don't sit in simply thinking about drinking, it will end in disaster, you NOW don't drink, so what are your Friday nights NOW all about, are they reading, watching tv, playing games, you need a routine, which doesn't mean sitting in thinking about, I'm not drinking tonight!!

If the feeling does crop up, post on SR before doing anything else!!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Weekends are tough, but once you've got few a through it will be so much easier x
Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Think it through. That is what I am doing (second weekend sober here). My questions for myself are:
1. Do you want to go to the ER?
2. Do you want to have a steady supply of alcohol so you dont get the shakes?
3. If you run out of alcohol, will you go to the store in the middle of the night and by a substitute (i.e., extract).
4. What will happen when the shakes come back? Will you drink more? Can your body take it.

Play it through.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first weekend sober, too. I'm going to try and stay busy! Biggest concern I have is after my hockey game on Sunday night: there is always beer available and I can never just have one.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm scared too. I feel like a scared little child facing the unknown. I will be so glad not to spend all day tomorrow recovering and wasting a Saturday.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bill. I'm glad you posted about your anxiety - I hope it helps to talk it over here.

I remember my first sober weekend after decades of drinking. I felt resentful and sorry for myself - even though I knew it had to happen - and I could never let myself go back to the way it had been. As Kate said, once you get through a few of them it'll get easier. Be patient with yourself - you're learning to live in a new way. You'll be happy with the new normal - and no hangover, remorse, regrets, etc.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Main thing is having a plan, don't sit in simply thinking about drinking, it will end in disaster, you NOW don't drink, so what are your Friday nights NOW all about, are they reading, watching tv, playing games, you need a routine, which doesn't mean sitting in thinking about, I'm not drinking tonight!!

If the feeling does crop up, post on SR before doing anything else!!
This helped me a lot during my first weekend. I started on a Sunday and was close to where you were at in day 5. I made plans to meet some friends for brunch on Sunday and made myself some nice breakfast on Saturday. Then took care of some things I had wanted to for a while.

It made me feel productive and like I had accomplished something. It had been so long since I hadn't woken up hung over, it was a strange feeling to be honest. But it was great. I'm working on day 12 and I can assure you I am thrilled to be waking up tomorrow sober, with a whole day ahead of me to do what I want/need to do!

Don't fret, just take it moment by moment and be assured that your decision to remain sober is the best thing you can be doing for yourself good luck

edit: Oh, and if you don't know what you could plan for yourself, ask around here. And, if you ever feel like drinking, please post here first. If you ever need encouragement, there will always be someone here
Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

All the best for a sober weekend x