Notices

Day 19 and counting...

Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 19 and counting...

I am new to this forum and hope to find all the support I will need to continue down a path of sober living. My mind is clearer than it has been in ten years.

Simply stated, I am an alcoholic. I hurt myself physically once again due to being heavily under the influence of alcohol. In the past I have fallen and smacked my face on the bathroom concrete floor, broken my tailbone, slammed my front tooth into a doorknob, gotten staples in my head, severely bruised my knee, severely sprained my ankle, and many other numerous scrapes and bruises. My last fall finally woke me the hell up and said "Change your life."

It is time for me to get a grip on this addiction I have had for way too many years. I have suffered many embarrassing moments, not only for myself but for my husband and family as well. From passing out in public establishments, getting kicked out of bars, falling, stuttering my speech, not remembering conversations, and even passing up on doing things because I would rather be home drinking...alone. There are so many memories I simply don't have from the past ten years because I have been drunk for most of it.

My alcoholism has gotten progressively worse over the past few years. Worse than anyone even knows really. I couldn't even remember the last time I was sober for more than 36 hours. It's been years. I looked forward to the end of the day simply because it meant it was time to drink. Always thinking of myself as a functional alcoholic, when in reality no one so dependent on alcohol is functioning in life as they have the potential to. I became a familiar face at nearly every liquor store on my route home. Stopping in every day for liquor, beer, or whatever I wanted to try out that day. Took pride in knowing any and every thing about every type of liquor because ive tried it all. Even got to the point I started going different routes so I could visit a different store where they didn't know me. Drinking and driving every night on my 16 mile drive home. Thankfully arriving safely in my driveway, already halfway drunk...and not even thinking twice about it. Once home, continuing to take shots and consume alcohol for the remaining evening hours until I would pass out. Sometimes consuming over a half bottle of my liquor of choice for the evening be it vodka, whiskey, or tequila. This has been my life for days and months on end. If an event didn't involve drinking, I wasn't interested.

It's time to wake up, grow up, and overcome this addiction that has such a grip on my life. 19 days sober and counting...

"I don't want to be the girl who laughs the loudest."

"That's not the way I want my story to end."
Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Group Done Stumblin,

Congratulations on 19 days and counting! You're doing fantastic. Just don't get cocky and think this is easier than you think. Been there, done that. We're much alike. Of course, we're all alike for the most part when it comes to drink.

I'm a 62 year old drunk and hoping to be clean myself in the next several days. I've been tapering down until I could get in to see a doctor and find a right solution for me. Last detox did not go well for me. I could drink like a bottle of vodka a day and still be almost sober acting. I am now down to two beers a day after a few months of tapering down. At first I didn't even know what that meant but have been just cutting back.

I hope to have as many days as you soon. I pray I can do it. You have and don't let the devil swindle you out of it!

Best Wishes,
Kris47
Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and well done xxx
Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome DoneStumblin! We're so glad to have you here. I know you'll find the support you're looking for.

Much of your post sounds very familiar. I even ended up drinking at work - I was completely dependent on it by the time I came here for help. I'm so glad you're wanting to have a new beginning. We promise there is life after alcohol. Congratulations on your 19 days. You can do it!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. And congrats on nineteen days sober. That's a great start.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was Pink lyrics you had in your post I'm guessing.

Live that song also, glad you found us and well done on 29 days!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Done - Welcome to SR! I have found great support here. Came on day 18 and with support now at day 44. Keep up the good work and stay strong! Great job on 19 days...