Notices

Celebrate Recovery??

Old 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrate Recovery??

Does anyone have any experience with this group? There is a large non-denominational church in my area that has a large Celebrate Recovery meeting every TH evening. It claims it is for recovery in "everything." I was considering going in order to meet some sober friends. I don't feel the need for AA at this time. I have been able to stay sober for over 100 days using SR as my support system, but I would like to meet some face-to-face friends who are sober. I live in a "vacation" town and I was a drinker for all of my life (except these last 100 days) so I am not in a good place to meet sober people nor have I ever been good at making friends who are not partiers. Thanks in advance for your insights and experience.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just googled it. I hadn't heard of it before. It looks like it is religious based and calls itself a church. It does seem to be contained to one area. Go for it if you like the sound of it. x
Old 01-09-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this group? There is a large non-denominational church in my area that has a large Celebrate Recovery meeting every TH evening. It claims it is for recovery in "everything." I was considering going in order to meet some sober friends. I don't feel the need for AA at this time. I have been able to stay sober for over 100 days using SR as my support system, but I would like to meet some face-to-face friends who are sober. I live in a "vacation" town and I was a drinker for all of my life (except these last 100 days) so I am not in a good place to meet sober people nor have I ever been good at making friends who are not partiers. Thanks in advance for your insights and experience.
yes Calvary or Generations?? or another one? Yes I have gone. Starts with a little worship, A testimony and a little lesson then breaks down into small groups. it's nice!! Calvary is on trouble creek in NPR, Generations is on State road rd 54, Saturday night at 6:30pm is calvary I believe
Old 01-09-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

No first hand experience, but I have heard good things second-hand

D
Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Celebrate recovery is very similar to AA but the higher power is pre-defined: Jesus Christ. It was started by pastor Rick Warren of "A Purpose Driven Life" fame. It is not limited to a certain area - there are several here in south Alabama and the movement got started in southern California.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hadn't heard of it but it looks fantastic! I just googled it and there is a group right in my town that meets every Tuesday! Thanks for mentioning it, I'm going to check it out. I will let you know my impressions after I attend my first meeting.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've heard it's amazing, too. Of course I'm a Rick Warren fan anyway I ordered the book last week. Keep us posted!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I like the idea of the breaking off into little groups. Much more personal. But I don't think we have them in the UK.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Celebrate recovery is very similar to AA but the higher power is pre-defined: Jesus Christ. It was started by pastor Rick Warren of "A Purpose Driven Life" fame. It is not limited to a certain area - there are several here in south Alabama and the movement got started in southern California.
Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I like the idea of the breaking off into little groups. Much more personal. But I don't think we have them in the UK.
Celebrate Recovery is my home group, but I also attend AA meetings. It is very similar to AA as Taking5 mentioned, AA was originally a Christian based program that replaced God with "higher power" to appeal to a broader audience. Both programs work if you allow them to.
The fact that CR allows you to address other issues than just addiction is a good thing / bad thing IMO. Good you have the freedom to address other life problems, but can be bad if you are fighting real life threatening issues and have to listen to Jim-Bob prattle on about his addiction to apple-fritters. I did find one CR group like that, fortunately my home group is a biker ministry which is a better fit for me.
The division of groups is the women and men meet separately. This isn't a bad thing given some topics, and I can find myself a bit distracted if an attractive woman is in the room.

I highly recommend trying several different CR/AA groups before settling on a home group(s). I like my CR home group, but I also have found an AA group I attend regularly and like.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by NoJimmy View Post
Celebrate Recovery is my home group, but I also attend AA meetings. It is very similar to AA as Taking5 mentioned, AA was originally a Christian based program that replaced God with "higher power" to appeal to a broader audience. Both programs work if you allow them to.
The fact that CR allows you to address other issues than just addiction is a good thing / bad thing IMO. Good you have the freedom to address other life problems, but can be bad if you are fighting real life threatening issues and have to listen to Jim-Bob prattle on about his addiction to apple-fritters. I did find one CR group like that, fortunately my home group is a biker ministry which is a better fit for me.
The division of groups is the women and men meet separately. This isn't a bad thing given some topics, and I can find myself a bit distracted if an attractive woman is in the room.

I highly recommend trying several different CR/AA groups before settling on a home group(s). I like my CR home group, but I also have found an AA group I attend regularly and like.
Lol # apple fritters
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

We have several celebrate recovery meetings in the UK near me,Coventry,Derby and Buxton.Don't know about other areas.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If your a believer, it's a great way to go.
The main difference is @ CR you are NOT defined as your disease, habit, etc.

You are a child of God, a Christian , a follower of Jesus.......who struggles with alcohol, narcotics, etc. People there identify themselves FIRST as believers, NOT as alcoholics.
I like that angle
Give it a try.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sober recovery is a great alternative to AA. Love it.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you think it might help your recovery, then go for it.