Notices

Question on Addiction

Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question on Addiction

Is it considered shameful to take prescription drugs to curb alcohol addiction? I had to see my doctor today, and I obviously told her the truth that Campral helped some, but in the end, I slipped up. So she also gave me Naltrexone in combination with the Campral.

Does this make you less of a person? Even if you plan taking it for only like a month or two until cravings subside? I'm taking 6 Campral pills a day, one Naltrexone, and one blood pressure pill EVERY DAY.

Maybe a different topic, but I have a "G Allele" that makes me more addicted to alcohol (and apparently everything else in the freaking world) and gives me more of a "high" than people without this gene. It's my Indian descent. I had no idea. I am not using it as a crutch, but I didn't know that was possible.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dont think it is shameful at all. If it is prescribed by your doctor and it helps you, then it is welcome.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah it's all prescription, and it helps. It does NOT relieve all my cravings but it DOES help.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Trust your doctor and concentrate your energy on recovering and making positive changes in your life, the rest will fall into place.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Shame is really a subjective term to begin with so it's really impossible for anyone to give a concrete answer on that. From an addition and recovery standpoint there is absolutely nothing wrong with using prescribed medicines ( in the prescribed dosages ) to detox/get sober.

Abusing or addictive usuage of prescribed meds could be a problem though, consult with your doc if you feel the dosage or effects are not working as they should.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

would it be considered shameful if a person had to be hospitalized during the early days of quitting to help prevent any fatal or damaging outcomes? addiction is a dangerous state, withdrawal is a dangerous state....some people are more deeply affected, either thru genetics or thru long term usage. if the GOAL is to quit, how can that be anything but a cause for celebration? do what you have to do to get batter....follow your dr's advice, take the medications as directed and don't mess with success.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A person that is trying to solve their problems is never less of anything.