Just For Today...

Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just For Today...

Just For Today
  • Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
  • Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.
  • Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my luck as it comes, and fit myself to it.
  • Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.
  • Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.
  • Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won't find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.
  • Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.
  • Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.
  • Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.
I don't know if we have this stickied somewhere? I couldn't find it. I used to have it on a bookmark in my filofax (which somehow disappeared when I moved).

I don't manage to follow this every step every day. But just reading through it calms me down.

So today, I needed to read this part in particular:

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
I have come from a volatile situation in my personal life to a volatile situation at my workplace. There is strife and contentiousness and sniping and aggression. I am working on maintaining a professional attitude, treating people respectfully while keeping healthy boundaries, managing my anxiety, and getting my work done. It is not easy, but today, reading the above section, I giggled and thought "Hey -- I don't even have to do it for 12 hours; I only have to do it for eight!!! That's GREAT!!!"

Just for today, I will try to live through this day only. See the beauty and joy. Find things to be grateful for.

Just wanted to share.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Too funny that I came here today to check in. I just posted on another recovery forum about the 'just for todays' and the one that is sticking with me from the moment I woke up is, "I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt, they may be hurt, but today I will not show it."

That is something I struggle with daily when it comes to dealing with my AH. I want him to know how hurt I am, I guess I feel like I want some sort of pay back or maybe if I shame him I'll feel better and won't hurt so badly. Yet, I know the truth and I know that this is not the right approach. So, I have to step back and read those 'just for todays' to get my balance back.

I used to think these were silly and I hated reading them in meetings. Now, I find myself referring to them on a regular basis. I take what I like about them and leave the rest. Thanks for sharing them today!!