Notices

Advice Please: Going Back to Work

Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Please: Going Back to Work

Hi-

Has anyone else returned to work after an extended leave for medical reasons (also known as treatment)?

I'm feeling anxious and nervous about it and wondering if any of you have gone through the experience and if so, any words of advice of how you handled coworkers and your role would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't Inca - but I know others will have

D
Old 01-08-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I work in the medical field and had to be treated by my work colleagues for a condition which is directly a result of my alcoholism. I thought that I might die of shame and embarrassment but I didn't. On return to work people have been amazing with words of support or have just treated me the same. My sobriety is the most important thing in my life followed by my family and close friends. If people judge or think badly of me then that's their business. I can't control it do let it go. I also know for a fact that other people are not perfect and have their own issues. Most people really don't care what we have done unless it directly affects them. I hope returning to work goes well for you. Hold your head up high and be proud of yourself for facing your demons and seeking treatment.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have gone back to work after being out for treatment. I was just mentioning my 2 weeks of rehab that I was out of work for. I had a lot of anxiety about it when I went back.. Coworkers wanting an explanation, trying to get back into the routine etc. Just remember, you don't owe them an in depth explanation. If you want to let everybody know you were sick, leave it at that. Just tell them you don't want to talk about it.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did yes,

And facing the co-workers was not my hardest part, it was the end of the workday when I used to goto the liquor store immediately after. I just took a different route home, praised myself on how good of a day I had, and thought about other things other than the old actions I used to do.

Have a great day

Matt
Old 01-09-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never had any bad experiences going back after my rehab spell a few years back. Got full support, and I never felt awkward as I was in a better state of mind. I was worried about going back, That 1st step is the hardest. You will find people are happy to see you, and that your health is improving.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't go to rehab but at my first 90 days I had a nervous breakdown and was off work for a month, but was also hospitalised for a kidney problem at the same time (that time in my life I refer to as 'Hell'). I had a drs certificate saying I was unfit for work and no details as to why. I down played it but no one really asked me anything and when people asked me how I was, I just said I was "fine now, thanks and what's been going on around here? Any good goss for me?"

If people know you went in for treatment, chances are they probably are going to be embarassed too and won't ask you much. I would just keep it light and upbeat and don't go into detail. "I'm feeling so much better, thanks for asking."
Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I was congratualted and given much support. Said the same kind of things as Tigerlilli x