Marchman Act

Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Marchman Act

Hello again. I'm wondering if anyone in Florida has had any success using the Marchman Act? Any tips or warnings? I have read lots of information. I know all the implications. Just looking for your point of view. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know of it and how it works.
If we would only save them, fix them, had that power, and we don’t.

Probably not what you were looking for in a response, but...

Who jumps in to save you? And is it really anyone else’s responsibility to do so?

Developing ulcerated colitis, breaking out in hives, losing the amount of weight you have isn’t healthy. Even though I so miss that codie diet …. Do you have children and if so is it healthy for them to see their mom falling apart, sick with worry? When will you give yourself the time you deserve for your health, your sanity, the one you can actually help.

Yes, I have read your other thread…With this question I am wondering if the second opinion didn’t go as you had hoped, if he even went.

I understand the watching. I understand the fear. I even know the ramifications down the line if they do find recovery. And with all that you wrote about him, it sadly sounds all to familiar with the natural progression of this disease.

Yet, make no mistake there is a solution. And he is capable of finding one.

What I have found is that the fear was killing me. At times I thought OMG I am as fixated on the heroin as he is, as fixated on the needle as he is. And it was sucking the life out of me and I wasn’t even using it … although I did start drinking again, but that was a direct result of letting go. I lost my fix, my fill in the void. Without him to focus on, that meant I had to look at what was becoming of me. And while an extremely important step for my own chances, it was scary.

I also know the fear of them dying. I had to really accept the fact that my husband’s addiction could kill him and literally mourn him while he was alive. It did help move past that fear that while may be a truth to this disease was irrational in the moments … I had no crystal ball to really know. It was even faithless. What a reflection of our own soul to send out. Not something I want to project.

There are many success stories, written here and in many other places. They are written one person at a time. It might be time to start finding you own.

Good to luck to you both…
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your comments. I agree that I must move on. I personally can not just kick him out. He or his family would continue to contact me and because I love him & worry about him my health will only get worse. The Marchman Act; is me moving on. I know him & his family well enough to know they will not want anything to do with me after. I also know that I will never trust him again. I honestly know I'm not willing to live this way. This way I will know he will be off the drugs and we can both move on. I've prayed & prayed and I believe this is best for the both of us. God has given me the strength to do this.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BTW- the second opinion went exactly as I expected. My husband was doing it in protest and tried to get out of it several times. The Doctor was pleasant & truthful. My husband didn't like it and turned it into something it wasn't. The visit actually validated for me that this is over.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you. I see what you are saying. This is you giving him the help he needs because you are moving on.

Hugs and God Bless.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We tried to Marchman act my sister but at the hospital when she was to go to detox we had no one to sign paper work and were told she could refuse to go. She didn't know that and we got her to detox for 7 days. She then was allowed to go home to my parents house to do a 30 Day outpatient program and relapsed. She was arrested today because she continued to steal from my parents and my mom took a warrant out. Hoping this will open her eyes but I have accepted that she will only quit when she is ready. No matter what we say, how much we want it for her.....She has to want it for herself and be done with it. Good luck to you. Get into a Nar Anon program.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HusbandsKeeper View Post
Hello again. I'm wondering if anyone in Florida has had any success using the Marchman Act? Any tips or warnings? I have read lots of information. I know all the implications. Just looking for your point of view. Thanks in advance!
I hope someone comes forward to talk about it because I am interested in it also. I'm in Florida.

Monday evening my husband and I have our first appointment with a therapist to discuss our son's addiction. When I spoke to this therapist on the phone I told him I wanted to know about it so hopefully he'll have some insight. Just from what I've read I'm not so sure it will benefit our son but if I find out something useful, I'll post it here.

Kari
Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lexy1 View Post
We tried to Marchman act my sister but at the hospital when she was to go to detox we had no one to sign paper work and were told she could refuse to go. She didn't know that and we got her to detox for 7 days. She then was allowed to go home to my parents house to do a 30 Day outpatient program and relapsed. She was arrested today because she continued to steal from my parents and my mom took a warrant out. Hoping this will open her eyes but I have accepted that she will only quit when she is ready. No matter what we say, how much we want it for her.....She has to want it for herself and be done with it. Good luck to you. Get into a Nar Anon program.
Could you tell us how you initiated it? I talked to a police officer who was called to our AS's apartment because of a disturbance with him and his girlfriend. I've read that a police officer can inititate it but this officer said he didn't know one that ever did. He said to talk to a counselor to get information so we are doing that Monday. That is just one thing we are going to ask him about.

When I Google it, I mostly have found a lot of ads for lawyers that want to help with it. Did you use a lawyer or do it yourself and how did you do it?

Thanks so much, Kari
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kari.
My sister disappeared for 6 days in June, We had contacted the local court house about getting an Marchman Act. We found my sister and her and my older sister got into an argument bc she said she wasn't coming home. The police were called and my sister ran behind the store and shoved a bunch of pills in her mouth. We weren't sure how many she ingested so we had her taken to the hospital. They gave her charcoal and set up detox. After about 6hours she said she wasn't going. We called the courthouse and the said they were sending a police officer. She started to walk out of the ER and we found a cop. He said "We (policeofficers can't do Marchman act)She is free to walk out. The ER said they didn't have her in there as a danger to herself or as a Pscyh eval so she couldl leave on her on. It was heartbreaking. We threatened her with charges bc she had taken from my parents and that is the only way we got her to go. She relapsed and was arrested b/c she stole again and my my pressed charges.
I really need to find out the legality of it all. As far as I know, No family plans on bailing her out.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am from California. If the individual goes into a hospital and admits that they are high or in withdrawals (and has drugs in their system) and is suicidal, they institute a "5150" which is a mandatory hold under hospital care for a minimum of three days. I am not sure if that can be enacted without their admitting it to the hospital, however, once they admit to it, they CANNOT leave. My son was admitted twice with this and both times the psychiatrist had to sign off that he was no longer a danger. No law was involved in those events.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WHat I've done so far

This has been quite a day!

I went by the courthouse and picked up the Marchman Act paperwork. I spoke to someone there that said once I file, I will be contacted within a couple days at most to let me know the judges ruling. Either the judge will schedule a court date or have him picked up. If the judge decides in my favor, he will be placed at a temporary assessment facility for 3-5 days. He is free to go whenever he likes, but if he does not follow the court order there will be an order issued for his arrest. Once they make the assessment, I have to pick it up & deliver it to the courthouse without opening it. They will give me a copy. The judge will schedule another court date to determine his treatment depending upon the results of the assessment. (I've read a lot of stuff on this. The petitioner (me) is financially responsible for any treatment the judge orders. Also, apparently, if the judge decides he must go to a residential facility and there isn't a bed available; he will be arrested.)

I spoke with an attorney afterwards. They weren't very helpful. They just wanted me to sign the paperwork agreeing to pay them.

My husband & I went to counseling. That didn't go well.

Chiropractic visit did go well!

My first Nar-Anon meeting. Cried, A-LOT! I knew I didn't cause his addiction, I knew I couldn't cure it, but I did think I could control it. I took some time to ponder it all and decided the Marchman Act isn't going to solve any problems. Even if he decided to never take anything again, he has to decide to fix himself or none of it matters. And I have to fix myself as well! I'm tired of being broken.

Finally ate something. I was starving!

Saw a great movie. Felt better because I didn't have to think about my situation.

Then, I turned my phone back on to dramatic texts from him & he's gone again!

Day in the life.

Considering I can't live like this anymore. We will be having that discussion when he returns. Either rehab, meetings & counseling or the door.

..... more drama to follow, I'm sure.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HusbandsKeeper View Post
I took some time to ponder it all and decided the Marchman Act isn't going to solve any problems. Even if he decided to never take anything again, he has to decide to fix himself or none of it matters. And I have to fix myself as well! I'm tired of being broken.

Considering I can't live like this anymore. We will be having that discussion when he returns. Either rehab, meetings & counseling or the door.
Have never used the MarchMan Act, but I do think the one thing forcing/encouraging treatment can do is allow the person a better chance to decide for themselves (with a clear mind) that they want to fix themselves and stop using. Denial is one of the classic symptoms of addiction, along with distorted thinking that makes them feel like the need to use drugs is just like the need to breath air or drink water. They cannot see the problem with clarity. Time in treatment can allow the brain to begin to heal & allow the person to see they have options; they truly can live without drugs.

Sorry you are going through this. Keep taking care of you and moving towards the positive change you want in your life.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Marchman Act

Kari-Sue
The Nar-Anon meeting helped more than I can say. Give it a try. [U]Also please read my reply to the earlier thread. The Marchman Act could turn out disastrous, and has for some.

Last edited by HusbandsKeeper; 01-09-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: thought it was a private message
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

I know of a few that have used the Baker Act or Marchman Act. All were just held for 72 hours and released...and became more resentful.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have no opinion on the use of the marchman act, but I do agree with alforcmn that when an addict is "high" on his/her DOC it's very hard for them to see with clarity that they have a problem and figure out ways to fix their problem.....rehab/outpatient/meetings.

While they are caught-up in the cycle of active addiction....their primary thoughts are on their DOC and where will they get their next fix........their thinking is completely distorted and narrowed......hijacked by their addiction......they come to view their DOC as necessary for their survival (basic needs like air, food and water).

When an addict is forced (i.e. runs out of money, gets arrested, drug not available, rehab/marchman act ) to come down and detox.....that is when his brain can think clearly about the negative choices he's making and decide for himself that he wants/needs to change.

This was never possible while I was "high" on pain pills......when I was forced to detox......that is when I had my "moment of clarity.....that is when I decided to change.

Keeper just know that whatever you decide we care about you and want the best for you!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lexy1 View Post
Kari.
My sister disappeared for 6 days in June, We had contacted the local court house about getting an Marchman Act. We found my sister and her and my older sister got into an argument bc she said she wasn't coming home. The police were called and my sister ran behind the store and shoved a bunch of pills in her mouth. We weren't sure how many she ingested so we had her taken to the hospital. They gave her charcoal and set up detox. After about 6hours she said she wasn't going. We called the courthouse and the said they were sending a police officer. She started to walk out of the ER and we found a cop. He said "We (policeofficers can't do Marchman act)She is free to walk out. The ER said they didn't have her in there as a danger to herself or as a Pscyh eval so she couldl leave on her on. It was heartbreaking. We threatened her with charges bc she had taken from my parents and that is the only way we got her to go. She relapsed and was arrested b/c she stole again and my my pressed charges.
I really need to find out the legality of it all. As far as I know, No family plans on bailing her out.
Wow, I'm so sorry but thanks for the info.

I have read that police officers can do it. The one I talked to said something like 'it is possible' but he doesn't know any officer who has ever done it. It seemed like he was saying they don't WANT to do it. Just my perception though. I get the feeling they would rather not be bothered.

Kari
Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
I know of a few that have used the Baker Act or Marchman Act. All were just held for 72 hours and released...and became more resentful.
We probably won't do it because he is a binge user and isn't always high and for other reasons.

We tried to Baker Act him once but the paramedics and police that came to our house said he must be a danger to himself or others. They wouldn't take him that night.

Kari
Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cleaninLI View Post
I have no opinion on the use of the marchman act, but I do agree with alforcmn that when an addict is "high" on his/her DOC it's very hard for them to see with clarity that they have a problem and figure out ways to fix their problem.....rehab/outpatient/meetings.

While they are caught-up in the cycle of active addiction....their primary thoughts are on their DOC and where will they get their next fix........their thinking is completely distorted and narrowed......hijacked by their addiction......they come to view their DOC as necessary for their survival (basic needs like air, food and water).

When an addict is forced (i.e. runs out of money, gets arrested, drug not available, rehab/marchman act ) to come down and detox.....that is when his brain can think clearly about the negative choices he's making and decide for himself that he wants/needs to change.

This was never possible while I was "high" on pain pills......when I was forced to detox......that is when I had my "moment of clarity.....that is when I decided to change.

Keeper just know that whatever you decide we care about you and want the best for you!
My son is a binge user so there are plenty of times when he is sober, sometimes for long periods. But, like clockwork, keeps going back to it. Sigh....

Kari
Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
Have never used the MarchMan Act, but I do think the one thing forcing/encouraging treatment can do is allow the person a better chance to decide for themselves (with a clear mind) that they want to fix themselves and stop using. Denial is one of the classic symptoms of addiction, along with distorted thinking that makes them feel like the need to use drugs is just like the need to breath air or drink water. They cannot see the problem with clarity. Time in treatment can allow the brain to begin to heal & allow the person to see they have options; they truly can live without drugs.

Sorry you are going through this. Keep taking care of you and moving towards the positive change you want in your life.
That is one reason why we are at least considering it. We are going to talk it over with a counselor tomorrow night.

Kari
Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Denial, justification, adrenaline rush, compulsive actions, tunnel vision, inability to make rational decisions for one's own good, and obsession. . . .

are all traits of codependency as well as of active addiction.

My only suggestion is to spend several months in weekly counseling before making any decisions about a Marchman Act. The person closest to the addict is often the person least able to assess with any clarity and to follow through without being controlled by unconscious emotions.

My suggestion is to just seek help for you and follow the direction of a professional counselor after that counselor has spent some months with you.

I remember the feeling of desperation to get someone sober. But in that state of mind, I was a runaway train.