Notices

Being around booze. Again

Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being around booze. Again

So, I dont know who remembers my thread about my alcoholic parents. Well, I put off going for Christmas thinking after a couple weeks of sobriety I'd be fine.

Well those couple weeks have past and I relapsed. Now I'm in day two and have to go there this weekend. I've put it off for two months trying to get sober.

I either lie and tell them my kid is sick, or I level with them... I mean it's a chance to help them since they are alcoholics too. (or so it'd seem) I'm still torn what to do.

at least i think they are. they drink anywhere from 30 - 40 beers between them nightly.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Justin, you of all people should know that alcoholics won't quit until they're ready. You might want to read around in the "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" section of this forum for some perspective on how to help others with alcoholism.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's me that's wanting the help... I do know that. I'm just stuck: ignore family till they die or get sober or risk relapsing on saturday?

I think I'm just going to tell them I'm an alcoholic and I have decided to quit. Maybe they'll get it... Maybe they'll say I'm crazy... Who knows?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't have to ignore your family Justin - but you may want to postpone visiting them until you feel more secure in your recovery?

D
Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't visit them if it's going to be stressful. Your sobriety should come first.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your gut instincts will tell you what to do that is good for you.

Kris47
Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
... they drink anywhere from 30 - 40 beers between them nightly.
Then visit them during the day. Meet for breakfast, maybe brunch. Tell them you are quitting, then go home before the drinking starts.

There's being concerned about relapse, and there's setting yourself up for relapse.

Which are you?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I live with an alcoholic and he drinks every day. I don't drink. I made the choice. I don't care what the whole world does I don't drink. I go out and people are drinking. I don't drink. My choice. I visit family who drink, I don't drink. My choice. In life we make choices. I choose not to drink. I am an alcoholic and one drink will ruin my sober life, so I don't drink. That is the tape I play in my mind. I hope it helps. Glad you are here with us. I hope it gets better for you.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You don't have to ignore your family Justin - but you may want to postpone visiting them until you feel more secure in your recovery?

D
I was going to post this, but Dee beat me to it. No need to jeopardize early progress by putting yourself in a precarious situation. Sure, they are family, but you should prioritize your own needs at this early stage. Barring something drastic, there's always another time you can go visit.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree.

Do what is GOOD FOR YOU.