Notices

Introduction

Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hi everyone, I am new to this group and site and hope to get some advice/support from people going or who have gone through alcohol addiction like I am dealing with now. At the moment I haven't had a drink since NYE and am just doing it by shear willpower and seeing my psychologist. I am meditating and trying to get healthy but the thoughts are always there in the back of my mind.

I have been drinking for over 30 years, binge drinking intermittently but drinking regularly for the last 3 or so years every night, starting with a few glasses of wine but then up to a bottle a night and could have kept going. I had a nervous breakdown midway through last year from overwork in my own business and had to slow down. The drinking helped me numb things and I love that feeling of just going into the fuzzy feeling of alcohol. It also helped me sleep. I am trying to be positive. I don't want to go to AA so thought I would try a forum like this to see if that was enough. Of course, if that is what I need then I will do it.

Wishing you all well.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR GCG - you'll find a lot of support and ideas here.
Glad to have you with us

D
Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome GoldCoastGirl

There are a lot of folks here that have been right where you are!! A truly supportive bunch!!

Glad you found us!

Stick around and read around and keep posting!

You can also join us in the January Class of 2014 thread where we have all quit in January.... Good discussions and support. It is an ongoing thread. Just pop in and say hi...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Goldcoastgirl! I think you'll find SR to be very helpful & encouraging - we're glad you joined us.

When I first came here I'd been drinking around 30 yrs. too. In the end it was all day. I was so trapped, and couldn't imagine a way out. Opening up on here with people who understood made all the difference to me. I hope you'll feel the same.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm new here as well, but everyone is so supportive. Stay strong!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome GCG! There is plenty of inspiration and support on this site for sure. I am on day 8 myself after a major relapse and also not attending AA currently. I have been in the past and considering going back, just taking it one day at a time. I have found meditation very helpful, so it's great if it works for you too! Have you considered talking to your doc about meds to help ease withdrawal? It does get easier, don't give up!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Goldcoastgirl!

I am also fairly new here myself, but I will say you are in good hands... There is tons of info and help here just waiting for the taking...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome GoldCoastGirl!
Great job on the not drinking since NYE. Sounds like you are doing a good job taking steps to take care of yourself. Stick around. This place was and is huge support for me.

It wasn't always easy for me at first but I did try very hard to do the work. Commit, find my support, change some patterns and behaviors, commit some more, try new things, you get the point. I knew I would have some tough days but I decided that I was going to choose my hard. At least I knew it would get better if I chose the right one.

It did. It's unbelievably better. Life still throws a few kinks. I'm just okay with it now.

You can do it!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome GCG! It sounds like you have some questions, and this site is a great place to start. Take a look around, check out some posts, and come back often and regularly. I think you might be able to find some answers.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi GoldCoast Girl! Your story is a lot like mine. I had been drinking for about 30 years too and it got worse over the past 5 or so...drinking at least a bottle of wine a night and binging on more than one a night every few weeks or so. I had to take a medical leave from work due to the stress from work and using drinking to escape from it. I decided I couldn't continue that way any longer and I am on day 42 of being sober. The thoughts of drinking enter my mind now and then too...I try to take things an hour at a time when I get those feelings and the thoughts seem to go away. It's always such a nice feeling to go to bed at night knowing I made it another day and waking up with a clear mind. Congrats on not drinking since NYE! The first week is hard, and you made it through that!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone who replied to my post. I am overwhelmed at the sincerity and generosity of people who don't even know me wanting to help me. I know already that this is going to be a big help.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi GoldCoast! I quit on NYE as well, and have found this site, everyone here to be so encouraging, and honest!

I love asking myself questions when thinking about old patterns, tonite is bingo night at a bar across from work. I am trying to think rationally, like "did I really have fun?", "do those people really know me, or even care if they ever see me again?"

The hardest is the at home wine routine. Yet all of drawbacks, the money it costs, having a red face, passing out sleeping, waking up groggy and in a complete fog...the fear of drunk dialing or texting, getting weird bruises, worth it?

It is so much "safer" to not drink and have no regrets.

Congrats!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and well done on not drinking since NYE XXXX
Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaulinaPolitely View Post
The hardest is the at home wine routine. Yet all of drawbacks, the money it costs, having a red face, passing out sleeping, waking up groggy and in a complete fog...the fear of drunk dialing or texting, getting weird bruises, worth it?
OMG, I thought I was the only one that would notice weird bruises I couldn't explain... Thank you for the reminder about that too, and the regretted drunk texting, and the fogginess, and the money, and the list is endless.

Keep coming back, GCG, and I bet you will have AHA! moments too. So many great people with wonderful stories and inspiration.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group Goldcoastgirl,

Congrats on getting started with your sobriety.

I'm new here as well.

The people are awesome.

Kris47
Old 01-08-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Goldcoastgirl. I have found a great deal of support and helpful advice from the good people here. Congratulations on your 8 days of sobriety. Keep up the good work. Good luck on your journey. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, GoldCoast.

Congrats on not having had a drink since NYE. I find what helped me is not relying on will-power, because it's difficult to make that work for any length of time, because it will always require you to be on your game.

I find what helped me was to truly think about what benefits I was getting from being a drunk. All of the perceived benefits alcohol provides us are really only that - perceived. At best, alcohol only picks us up from the decimated state it has left us in in the first place. The only issues alcohol fixes are the ones that it has caused in the first place.

Anyway, good luck. I find it's very helpful to continue to spend time on these forums, and also to read books about the subject.

Have a great day!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a good place for support and information.