Notices

Last Detox. Night two

Old 01-07-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last Detox. Night two

So, as far as symptoms go, I have generally felt hot today. Like I have a mild fever or something. It's par for the course.

I have had some mild heart palpitations throughout the day. Oh, and my kidneys hurt. Doc said drink more water.
Lastly, I have an aching hangnail on my thumb that won't seem to heal. (Hey, I have to throw some humor in all this right?)

I likely won't sleep until about 1 or 2 A.M. I do get struck by the sober insomnia for about 4 days to a week.

Holding up pretty good. Feel pretty good. Doc says after I don't feel heart palpitations I can start working out again beginning with cardio then weight training. I can't wait till tomorrow because it's my positive addiction. During my 13 day sober stint, I lost 4 pounds even though I was weight training. Sure some was probably alcohol bloat, but 2700 calories a day is a TON. (That's about how much calories I was drinking up nightly)

On a bad note, the therapist I have been seeing doesn't take my new health insurance, so I had to find a new therapist. I took a non traditional route in this. I decided to use a therapist who had her degree, but needed internships. (She's working under a psychologist) I had someone give me a chance once, and it worked for me, so maybe it will for her too...
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have a trainee therapist who I am seeing tomorrow. She is lovely.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son was once a trainee who was supervised and all of the clients he had then stayed with him once he went on his own... I'm partial, but he's wonderful! LOL!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
I took a non traditional route in this. I decided to use a therapist who had her degree, but needed internships. (She's working under a psychologist) I had someone give me a chance once, and it worked for me, so maybe it will for her too...
You may very well have made an excellent move.

Therapists-in-training typically work very hard at helping their patients. They work with both a "management team" and peer supervision. They hang on their patients' every word, and spend the bulk of their time thinking about what they can do to help, often to the consternation of their partners. And they have the benefit of being supervised by people who are qualified and experienced in training "new" therapists. Their supervisors are there because they love what they're doing.

They don't eat lunch or pay their bills during sessions, and they generally can't wait to see their patients again.

Decades of large-scale research projects have only borne out what I always knew: It's not the therapist's experience, training or education that makes the difference. It's the relationship that heals. And this goes beyond the consulting room. Good news for couples who actually attend to and work on their relationships; bad news for people who find themselves trapped in relationships that are marked by abuse, criticism, indifference or that are otherwise unbalanced.

You also get big-time karmic cash and prizes for the reason why you gave this woman a chance.