Notices

Something is wrong this time around

Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something is wrong this time around

This is NOT going well. Something is wrong with this quit attempt.
I am either not ready or....?
Last time I had a successful quit, I quit for 4 months. It was not anywhere near this bad.
It's like, I say I want to quit, it's causing issues in my life with energy and weight gain and not feeling healthy. But last time,in February, I had this HUGE determination and I was Ready.
I'm not feeling that way now. What does this mean? I mean it sounds ridiculous to keep drinking until I'm really ready?! I am so confused.
Last night was one of the worst nights. I had decided I wanted to drink with our movie. It went like this...
I said "Honey, will you go get me some wine" (sweet smile)
Him " Nope! You don't need that stuff, you were just saying how your face looked so much better this morning"
A little later "Hmmm I really wish I had some wine right now..."
Silence.
Him "You know you get anxiety the next day"
Me, exasperated, and craving bad "That's when I go overboard!!"
Him "uh-uh" shaking his head.

So now I realize he is flat out refusing. (Its not that I wouldn't go get my own, me asking him is kind of my way of asking his permission and wanting him to agree its OK)
And I realize I am going to start crying because I am so so so so mad that he is not letting me drink!!
This is in the middle of a MASSIVE late evening crave. My emotions are everywhere and I feel like a little kid and I can't help it.
Totally out of character for me, I snap at him for wanting me to put the movie in, then tell him I dont even want to watch it!! So there!! (I thought)
Pout. I storm into the kitchen and make a double strength Kava tea and consider slamming the 2 shots of vodka in the cupboard but, yuck,no.

I go and sit down and literally can not even look at him or I willl start crying. I try to eat a muffin and it gets lodged in my throat because there is such a big lump there.
I sit there giving him the silent treatment until he says "You're doing good hon, you look really good, you'll be so happy in the morning"
And I realize he is like, coddling a small child.
He actually goes and gets me a blanket for my lap and tucks me in and says " I want my wifey to be comfy!"
So he kind of felt a little bit guilty, but not really. It took me until right before we went to sleep to not be mad at him.

I don't want my quit to be like this. A yucky tense battle between husband and wife. There is no way my quit is gonna work with someone forcing me.

With my 4 month quit I had seen my doctor and got a rx for Klonopin and I think that's what I have to do.
My withdrawal symptoms are making me an absolute monster and I don't even recognize myself.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say. I guess I am giving up until January 17th. when I have my docs appt.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sounds like he's trying to be supportive, but you aren't sure you want to quit. Why be mad at him for being supportive? Sounds like y'all had a nice evening planned, but you ruined it because he wouldn't go buy you some wine. Sorry to sound harsh, but maybe it seemed like he was talking to a small child because that's exactly what you were acting like?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You are doing really well and your self-awareness is great. Your hubby sounds like a prince making you all comfy You are just going through a bad time this time round, so stick with it because if you slip, next time could be even harder. It will get better.xxx how long have you ben sober this time, by the way?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So, you wanna wait until he takes a harder line?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Sounds like he's trying to be supportive, but you aren't sure you want to quit. Why be mad at him for being supportive? Sounds like y'all had a nice evening planned, but you ruined it because he wouldn't go buy you some wine. Sorry to sound harsh, but maybe it seemed like he was talking to a small child because that's exactly what you were acting like?
That's exactly what happened. And believe me I am mortified, like I said, that was out of character for me. Last time I quit, these horrible mental/emotional symptoms didn't even happen.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
You are doing really well and your self-awareness is great. Your hubby sounds like a prince making you all comfy You are just going through a bad time this time round, so stick with it because if you slip, next time could be even harder. It will get better.xxx how long have you ben sober this time, by the way?
I am on day 3.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Artic - Don't give up... I've fought with myself so many times I cant count. And right now have made it 42 days. It isn't my longest but it is getting close. That inner voice you heard before is currently being over powered by that AV that (for me) twists the truth and helps me justify why having a drink is an ok thing. I do believe it has to come from within and it sounds like you have that desire in you. All my past attempts have been strained between my wife and I so I can appreciate that too. This time I sat down with her and told her that I really needed her support and we talked openly. I was surprised how supportive she was when I opened up. My recommendation is sit and talk to your husband. I can only imagine from 'their side' what it is like. he wants to help you and my guess is he doesn't know how. Try and talk to him...reach out if you can. For me that is part of what is making this time different.

But know that you have the inner drive to stop... you can do it!!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
That's exactly what happened. And believe me I am mortified, like I said, that was out of character for me. Last time I quit, these horrible mental/emotional symptoms didn't even happen.
Yes, you did explain that and you obviously feel bad. Let him help you. It will pass and he really seems to care xxx
Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I am on day 3.
Still early. Just battle it out, you will feel better in a day or two. You're probably still a bit foggy xxxx
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've got this happening too.
I quit for about three months and then gradually got back to my old place. Now I'm actually kind of apathetic.
I know in my head it's what I have to do and today is a big day one for me.

Congrats to your husband!!!! Sounds to me like he did just the right thing. I know he was a lot more civil about it than I would have been. My response would probably have been along the lines of "Get your own damn wine and don't try weaseling an approval out of me."
Of course that may be why I'm single! HA!
Good luck Arctic!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is no way my quit is gonna work with someone forcing me.
It's for sure not going to work with someone facilitating your drinking.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Welcome back Artic! I remember you from this summer. Sorry is rough going for you right now.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

quitting gets harder and harder every time....

until you can no longer quit at all.

What is coming up for me is a question;

rather than 'quitting' - would you be able to reframe to 'accepting'?

Accepting sobriety as your life path.

I know, I know... maybe that sounds subtle and hokey and lame. But seriously.... the more we focus on something the more we get of it, and to me when we focus on NOT... when we focus on QUIT.... it just magnifies the importance of the thing and in terms of alcohol - winds up empowering our Alcoholic voice.

Are you ready to choose sobriety? If you are ready to choose sobriety and the goodness that it brings, then you're not quitting; you're embracing.

Cheers to your hubby for being so supportive.... he did the right thing. I'm sure he's on your gratitude list.

Right?

Hang in there.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My withdrawal symptoms are making me an absolute monster and I don't even recognize myself.
You aren't a monster. You want to quit drinking. Your Addictive Voice wants to keep drinking. Your AV is the monster. Identify your AV next time and tell it to take a hike.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is called "Progression", as in alcoholism is a progressive disease.

If you don't stop now, it'll only get worse, never better.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've had similar 'conversations' with my husband.
He used to run out for me, and yes he was an enabler. I even put him in a bad position occasionally by telling him (before I started drinking) NOT to go out for me after I've had enough, and then of course I'd get angry when he said no. Ugh, I feel so bad (and embarrassed the next morning).

I think it's great that he is trying to help you stay sober. I do know the feeling though, it's very frustrating when you want him to say it's okay. I use to say to my husband 'Will you hate me if I drink tonight?' I needed his approval. It's an awful, depressing place to be.

Good luck, and hang in there, it will get easier. I'm only at 3 weeks and the AV has quieted a lot.

Last edited by jessie65; 01-07-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am on day 3.
well ... hang in there... sounds like your husband loves you very much imo.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcoholism sucks.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope you are feeling better Artic. Can you explain the logic in starting to drink again so you can then stop again in a couple weeks? I don't know about you but I can do some serious damage I in a mere 10 days.

I used to resent any reference to my drinking by my wife, even before i started trying to quit. How dare she mention that I might have had a few too many?

Turns out I was dead wrong and listening to the alcohol. You don't have to listen anymore either..it's all lies.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I wanted to say the same, Scott. But all that came out is "alcoholism sucks."

In early sobriety your brain wants alcohol, but at the same time you know it doesn't work. You can't just have "a few." I know because I'm living it lol