Notices

Monday night

Old 01-07-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Monday night

Hi Everyone,

I went to a meeting yesterday morning. The topic was really pot because I live in Colorado and now pot is legal. A lot of people talked about it. I did share but not so much about pot, more about alcohol. It was a good meeting and I do like going, I just wish there were more than 2 meetings a week where I live.

Anyway, I am posting because for the first time in as long as I can remember, I went home last night and I did not even think about drinking. I made dinner, gave my daughter a bath, and then realized I hadn't had a drink. Of course I did not have any alcohol to drink at home because I ran out and didn't buy more. But the remarkable thing to me is that I actually had one evening where I wasn't obsessing. I think the meeting helped with that. I am just glad I had one night without thinking over and over about alcohol. I hope it lasts but I would not bet on it. It was nice though.

I have to make a call today that I am really dreading and it is making me very anxious. I don't like confrontation or telling people things I know they don't want to hear. I keep telling myself I can buy wine on the way home if I make this call today and that is the WRONG thing to do. I am not sure how to face making this phone call. Ugh.

Not sure why I mentioned the call, probably because I want to reward myself with alcohol which is not a good plan.

As always, thank you for reading this.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hopefully your thoughts of drinking will just come in waves and eventually just go. You are doing good. Make the call and I'll bet you wonder what you were so worried about afterwards. Then you won't need to think about drinking xxxx
Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting through yesterday. Hopefully you have made the call by now, if not get it over with and think of a non alcohol reward. I'm a chocolate lover myself, but you should be proud of yourself for handling the situation alcohol free. Each time will make the next time easier. Good luck and thanks for posting.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tend to think similarly, 2b... When I first started having problems with alcohol ~10 years ago, I used it as self-medication to lift my anxiety and feelings of disappointment. I recognized this and did develop other tools to cope with these over the years that I'm happy with. However, the alcohol remained... and in the more recent years I've tended to use it to reward myself to the point that I stopped doing almost everything else that can be healthy natural rewards... This is what I am hoping to turn around now. I find it very hard but I believe that we can do this!
Good luck to you!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you made the call and it wasn't as bad as you feared 2b
D
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. What a great support you are and you don't even know me in person. I made the call and as all of you said, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I am relieved!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad the call went good.
I had a revalation about drinking, too.
I was in a hotel party. Five open bars, free booze. It wasn't until the next day that it never occured to me to have a drink. I had a coke.
In my old days, I would have went from bar to bar to get drinks so one of the bartenders wouldn't think I was a drunk. I ate a lot of good food instead. That's where my concentration was.

With me, the feeling did stick when I was in similar situations. Don't drink. Don't have the first one.
I hope it sticks with you, too. It's a great life!

Best to you.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope so too. Thank you ghost!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad the call went well.
YOU ROCK. Give yourself a pat on the back for making it through so far without.
Thanks for being honest. I realized honesty only gets me more sincere posts. Being honest with yourself is the best way to start..so we are all here for you to be honest and vent and for us to be a friend. Congrats of even realizing how good you felt
I am fighting hard today myself..Day 10 w/out